Ask me about bands touring across the USA

Back in the early to mid 80's my uncle was a lead tour bus driver for many bands big and small.

He did large tours like Van Halen, Madonna (W/ Beastie Boys) and smaller ones like Culture Club, .38 Special and a few comedy tours with Eddie Murphy.

Over a 4 year period I spent about 13 months on the road with different tours.

I will answer question about general touring and specific questions about acts, venues, cities and the like.

Nothing is off base but I will not answer questions that would bring embarassment to any individual performer. I will answer embarassing questions about myself though
    Let them rip

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    who was your favorite act? Which act was most like a normal person? Most embarassing moment? Groupies?

Quote Originally Posted by jvansande View Post
    who was your favorite act? Which act was most like a normal person? Most embarassing moment? Groupies?
    Favorite act was .38 Special. These guys would rock out and then hang out. I did a lot of go-fering for them when they were in my home town of Boston. I told them where they could find their favorite foods and adult beverages and some decent places to check out. I also picked them up special things they needed on show day. They left me $200 when they were done. Not bad for a 16 y/o at the time.

Michael Anthony was probably the most down to earth. He gave my cousin a music/base lesson on the bus trip from Phoenix to L.A.

Most embarassing moment- Meeting Culture Club in a small Boston venue in their 1st American tour. My uncle told me that Boy George and the drummer Jon were an item but it wasn't widely known.

As I meet Jon he comes up to me and shakes my hand, with his left hand. We exchange hello's and he goes on his way. I ask my uncle if that is how gay people shake hands. He almost passes out from laughing.
    Turns out Jon had tendonitis in his right wrist and only used his right hand while playing the drums until it healed.

Groupies.
    My cousin and I gave out backstage passes at a Van Halen show. We were told they type on girls to give them to. Specific hair colors, heights and certain attributes were given to us to search out.

We were given 11 passes. 10 had to be given to the girls that fit the bill and we got one for our own bargaining tool!!

I also saw one unnamed female lead singer of a group pound the living crap out of a girl who was somewhere she should not have been with the singers husband. The husband had a black eye the next day.