America is fat because *GASP* we eat too much!

The obesity epidemic in the US is due solely to increased food intake

The amount of food Americans eat has been increasing since the 1970s, and that alone is the cause of the obesity epidemic in the US today [1]. Physical activity—or the lack thereof—has played virtually no role in the rising number of expanding American waistlines, according to research presented at the 2009 European Congress on Obesity in Amsterdam last week.

The finding is contrary to the widely held assumption that decreased physical activity is an equally important driver of overweight and obesity in the US, said lead author Dr Boyd Swinburn (Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia).
    So all those kids playing vidya games and watching tv all the time don't necessarily need to stop, just put down the twinkie, chips, and pizza while they're doing it.

I did find it interesting that this study about American obesity was performed by the 2009 European Congress on Obesity and reported in Melbourne, Australia.

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center

Wow we're fat because we eat to much! I would've never known! Are you sure about this???!??!??

this is up there with the study released yesterday that found that the brains of adults work differently than the brains of kids. man, I wish i had gotten to probably million dollar grant to figure these things out.
    bucket:Hidden Content

Wants: Anything mma as well as nice texans patches

The point is that the majority opinion was (and perhaps still is, this is just one study) that physical activity had just as much to do with obesity as food intake. This study is saying physical activity has nothing to do with it, it's all about food intake. So this is actually "saying something," this isn't just another one of those obvious conclusions.

Oh well, i can't lie we have some amazing foods to eat in this world.
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos: Dodgers, UCLA, Lakers, Falcons

Quote Originally Posted by OnePimpTiger View Post
    The point is that the majority opinion was (and perhaps still is, this is just one study) that physical activity had just as much to do with obesity as food intake. This study is saying physical activity has nothing to do with it, it's all about food intake. So this is actually "saying something," this isn't just another one of those obvious conclusions.
    Even decent exercise sessions only burn about 200 calories or so each time. Exercise is a helpful adjunct, but the best way to lose weight is to make a reduction in calories consumed from food and stick to that plan each day. Most people these days are eating up to 1,000 calories or more than their body can expend, and of course, those extra calories are going to their gut and elsewhere (1/3 of people are now obese along with 1/3 merely "overweight," and genes alone cannot be blamed for this tremendous increase).

Oh, and I'll add that crash dieting is never the way to go, since that is the fad these days. If a person decides to lose weight gradually through moderate calorie reduction and exercise, it WILL stay off. I know because I had gone up to 138 lbs. in my last semester of graduate school primarily because I just ate whenever, whatever - but when I finally dedicated myself to getting back to around 115, the weight I have been at for most of my adolescent years and beyond, I just reduced the calories I ate every day and committed to a moderate exercise plan. Sure, it wasn't instantaneous, but I'm now down to 114, and feeling better than ever. I never had one instance of gaining any pounds back while on the plan. Actually, I am still losing a bit even though I feel I am not consciously trying to anymore, because my body is now that well-accustomed to eating less these days. Last summer seems like a distant memory.

im in the 99 percentile for my weight

but im in the 99 percentile for my height also, im overweight but not obese

I know people that eat like 9 meals a day no exaggeration about 3 Plates full for each meal, But work out for like 3 hours a day as well. It also depends on what type of foods you are taking in.