Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Upper Deck Blog: Does Osgood deserve to be in the HHOF?

The upper deck blog has an intriguing question, asking if Red Wings goaltender, Chris Osgood deserves to be in the HHOF (http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.ph...u=9aVnQ&ref=mf). As a Wings fan, I have to be on Ozzies side on this one, He has won 3 stanley cups (2 as a starter) and has put up great numbers even when he wasn't with Detroit. He's currently 12th on the alltime win list and 3rd as far as active goalies go. So my question is, why shouldn't he be in the hall of fame?

-Andrew

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Collecting some Andreas Athanasiou and Brendan Shanahan, selling most everything else!

No. Not that he has not had a fine career, but he is about as average as it gets, and has simply just been fortunate enough to play for a powerhouse team most of his entire career. Outside of wins, his career numbers are not close to being HOF worthy.

Of course he should be in the Hall of fame...why.... because I'm a crazy red wings fan who thinks that every wings player is the best player in History

4. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganice91 View Post
    Of course he should be in the Hall of fame...why.... because I'm a crazy red wings fan who thinks that every wings player is the best player in History
    you actually realize it? thats a step in the right direction

not sure on ozzy. he really isnt that great but he wins (mainly cause of the team in front of him)

Quote Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
    you actually realize it? thats a step in the right direction

not sure on ozzy. he really isnt that great but he wins (mainly cause of the team in front of him)
    I agree...his 2.06 league best playoff GAA is quite sucky!!

Quote Originally Posted by michiganice91 View Post

I totally have to agree with you here on the being a crazy wings fan thing . On the other hand, every single time Ozzie is put down or called out, he steps up. Look at the season he had this year, IT SUCKED!!! After his sabbatical that Babcock sent him on, he has been terrific. He has won games for us these playoffs that, with any other goalie in the net, we would have been in trouble. But that's why we have Ozzie. He's arguably one of the greatest playoff goalie's of all time (ignore bias :D)

-Andrew

I definitely think Ozzie should be in the hall by the time his career is over. The argument that he has had a great team in front of him the whole time doesn't really hold much ground when you start comparing him to other goalies that are in the HOF or will soon be. Grant Fuhr, Patrick Roy & Martin Brodeur are perfect examples IMO. Yes they are both incredible at their position but do they really get the recognition without the teams they had in front of them? I think not.

Think of it this way, at the time if Roy was traded to a team like San Jose, Phoenix, or Los Angeles would he have 2 more cup rings? I really don't see that happening. In Colorado he was basically the missing piece of the puzzle for a team that had many weapons but was lacking a dependable goaltender. The rest became history.

As for Brodeur, during his cup runs he has usually been surrounded by some of the best defensive lineups playing at that given time. Then you look at someone like Grant Fuhr who is seen as a great but had one of (if not the) best lineups hockey has ever seen.

Whew, that was a little more winded than I had planned but my main point is regardless of the team in front of you, as a goalie if you put the numbers and rack up rings, there is no reason to be denied the HOF. At the end of his career he will most likely be top 10 in wins and will have 3 (maybe 4) cups to his credit among several other good statistics. I think there is no question that he should be a hall of famer.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by gregmal05 View Post
    No. Not that he has not had a fine career, but he is about as average as it gets, and has simply just been fortunate enough to play for a powerhouse team most of his entire career. Outside of wins, his career numbers are not close to being HOF worthy.
    Lets take a look at some career numbers shall we.
    Brodeur 557 wins 2.21 gaa .914 sv %
    Fuhr 403 wins 3.38 gaa .883 sv %
    Osgood 389 wins 2.47 gaa .906 sv %
    Roy 551 wins 2.54 gaa .910 sv %

Now can you say he isn't worthy to be elected into the hall? Osgood has a better goals against average than Roy and almost as good of a save percentage. Any goaltender that surpasses 400 wins in my opinion should be hall of fame bound.

When you get 400 wins that basically mean automatic induction. As it takes not only a good team you have to be in the league that long to make it happen. Just like 300 wins for a pitcher in baseball is automatic induction. He will get into the hall of fame no if's and's or but's about it. Go Ozzie.

DOn

Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

Quote Originally Posted by alpinemedic View Post
    Lets take a look at some career numbers shall we.
    Brodeur 557 wins 2.21 gaa .914 sv %
    Fuhr 403 wins 3.38 gaa .883 sv %
    Osgood 389 wins 2.47 gaa .906 sv %
    Roy 551 wins 2.54 gaa .910 sv %

Now can you say he isn't worthy to be elected into the hall? Osgood has a better goals against average than Roy and almost as good of a save percentage. Any goaltender that surpasses 400 wins in my opinion should be hall of fame bound.
    Still, no, numbers vary greatly depending on era. Roy played half his career in a completely different era of hockey, and Fuhr played most of his career during that era, when the league average save percentage was about .870, and a good GAA was around 3.25. Fuhr and Roy were also almost always among the league leaders in goalie categories, Osgood has never really even been close to being considered a top goalie in the league. The only time he has he still only played in like 40 games that year. Only once has he even been a Vezina finalist, and that was a dozen years ago.

IMO the HOF is reserved for the greats. Osgood has been incredibly consistent, that's it. Otherwise he has always been Mr. Average, and never considered a top goalie.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast