Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the most important..........

Insert card or set of all time. This is a personal opinion post with no correct answer. Simply, what is the most important to the hobby insert of all time. examples are numbered cards, auto's, gu and so forth. state what you think it is and why. Allow me to start.

1991 Donruss (don't laugh please) Elite Series.
    This is the first mainstream insert series I can recall that was serial'd numbered. Even though they were numbered to 10,000, which by todays standards is astronomical, back then it was unheard of. When you consider the number of base cards in the set and the fact that Donruss made OVER 4,000,000 boxes of this junk, just pulling one of the ten Elite cards is still a rare find. Someone calculated over at goosejoak.blogspot.com/2009/03/tribute-to-199...
    that the odds of pulling one would have been around 1 in 1500 packs.
    These cards, I honestly believe, are the beginning footsteps of the type of collecting we have today. If they had not been made, I believe that a few years later, a set like this would have come out, but we wouldnt be where we are today without the.

Therefore I nominate 1991 Donruss Elite Series #'d/10000 as the most important insert card/set in the history of collecting.

most impotent modern day set.
    1989 Upper Deck.
    it changed the whole hobby.

I don't know what year it was or what sport it was but what ever set first included Game Used cards.

I think for hockey it was 97-98 Upper Deck. (I could be wrong)
    Odds of pulling a Game Used was 1 in 2500 packs!

1993 Finest Refractors - although there were inserts before it, it really started the insert craze.

For modern base set releases... 1989 Upper Deck, for sure. Honerable mention goes to 1993 Topps Finest (first "super premium" set).

For parallels, definitely 1993 Finest Refractors. Still widely sought after today. 1992 Topps Gold really mainstreamed the parallel idea, but 1993 Finest Refractors blew the lid off.

Landmark insert, gotta give it to Donruss Elites, but remember when Flair Hot Gloves were all the rage? Nobody cares about them now, but I still remember seeing triple digits on the big names like Griffey and Thomas at the card stores.

Certified autographed insert, either the first AU'd Elites (Ryan and Sandberg if I remember correctly), or the 1994 Upper Deck Griffey/Mantle combo card. 1992 Score Dimaggios and 199? Upper Deck Ted Williams AUs were awesome too.

I am a gu/auto guy so I like 2004/05 Absolute Memorabilia, 2004/05 Leaf Limited, 2005 Prime Patches, any year of Prime Cuts and 1997 Donruss Signature. These (not Donruss Sigs) really took gu cards to the next level. Just my 2 cents.

Actually one of the first numbered inserts came from the 1990 pro set football set,The only reason I know that is I actually pulled one out of a cheap mixed box.It is hand numbered out of 10 m to keep up with the roman numeral theme of the superbowl it is a vince lombardi holofoil superbowl trophy.It still carries a high book value of 60 dollars which is impressive considering most cards values drop like a rock.Take care Steve

Quote Originally Posted by quinn16 View Post
    most impotent modern day set.
    1989 Upper Deck.
    it changed the whole hobby.
    Seconded...everything changed after Upper Deck started.

I agree, in 1989 Upper Deck changed the whole hobby.
    It was the beginning of higher end cards, better card stock and packaging.

One of the greatest autograph sets imo is the 1997 UD Legends Football Autos.
    I don't think any autograph set comes even close to it, still commanding high price and demand after all these years.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    WTTF:49ers/Hidden Content /Defensive Players/Kickers/Fiedorowicz/Crowder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast