anybody built a custom display case?

I'm in the process of setting up a designated home theater room and instead of movie posters I'm considering displaying auto'd cards. To do this the way I want I'd have to build my own displays. Anybody ever tackled something like this? Pics would be great but would also like some ideas.

I'm thinking of building something I can hang on the wall about poster size(2'x3') and building multiples. Something that would include I guess just basic plastic card holders since I could display more that way and considering they are gonna be hanging on a wall I don't forsee cards getting damaged. Only thing is I plan on at some point adding some high end autos (lebron, Jordan, etc) so I want to be positive they are safe. Anyway, longstory short, this is the idea I have and was just looking for advice from anyone that might have experience or just good ideas to toss around. Thanks for the read.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I made some a few years ago for some cards... I built it about 1 inch thick with a swinging glass door on the front... It was like a shadow box that had the groove in the shelves and felt as the background. I made a thicker one for auto baseball also with the same idea.... i dont have any pics of these as they didnt sell as well as i thought they would and i havent made any since... I may still have the design somewhere though if interested

Mitch

you nailed it with shadow box. That is exactly my thinking. I just want to focus on the total weight though as I dont want to have to "anchor" it to a wall in hopes of keeping it up. I'm hoping for as light as possible but with a sleek look.

4. Check out the Auctions from Packrip.com
    to keep it light, one thing i found was some paneling at Home Depot for the back of it. Kept the back very light. Also i used Pine for the inside shelves and they make an overlay you can stick on there to make it look like any wood you want.... My sports room at the time was all in Cherry so i grabbed a couple strips and it looked sharp... also kept the cost down. Another thing is to get high quality plexi glass for the front as it is lighter than actual glass.... I wish i still had pics but this isnt even the same computer i used then so i doubt i have any.

thanks for the tips. I think we're on the same page here so I really don't need the pics. It's just a matter of getting the material and getting started. I was just curious as to any other ideas anybody else had not realizing they could be very similar to what I had in mind. Great minds think alike, ha

One other thing that adds a nice touch is to get a small LED light that is battery operated and put it in the top. Really looks nice at night when you can turn it on and get that extra touch.