Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Makes Rookie Cards Special?

Well, the other day I was bored and started thinking about the hobby when a deep and perplexing question hit me. I forgot what that deep question was, so I continued thinking.

Then it hit me: What makes rookie cards so much more desirable and valuable than other cards?
    Why is a 1986/87 Fleer Michael Jordan worth so much more than a 1990/91 Fleer Michal Jordan?
    Why is the desire for a rookie so greater than that of second or third year card, or a card the year a player retired?

I could think of no real answer to these questions, so I was hoping someone could enlighten me on the subject.

Perplexing...I know.
    Hidden Content
    I collect Packers, Buckeyes, Indians, Blue Jackets, Anthony Schlegel, and Nikita Nikitin
    R.I.P Stefanie Spielman, Dante Lavelli, Bob Feller, Jack Tatum

2. Check out the Auctions from Packrip.com
    I don't know..first card made of them before they got big idk really.

Quote Originally Posted by Glebe View Post
    I don't know..first card made of them before they got big idk really.
    My thoughts exactly. It simply doesn't make sense!
    Hidden Content
    I collect Packers, Buckeyes, Indians, Blue Jackets, Anthony Schlegel, and Nikita Nikitin
    R.I.P Stefanie Spielman, Dante Lavelli, Bob Feller, Jack Tatum

haha glad to see Im in the same boat as you guys... RCs are cool I guess... lol

I am only interested in the one RC I have in my sig that Im looking for and thats only because of what it meant to the hobby and myself growing up in that era collecting.

It is kind of a funny concept. I guess it's the whole lure of newness..kind of like when a card product first comes out, it's at its most expensive, and yet we all buy it because of the lure of newness. Eventually the newness wears off, the prices go down, and the novelty disappears. For the player, he becomes better known, more cards of his come out, and then the prices go down with less demand.

If you want to really think about it and get deep, why are autos so special? A guy writes his name on a card, big deal...and it has gotten to the point that I question whether the player really signed the card or just got one of his buddies to do it while he plays Xbox. I know if I had to sign my name thousands of times it would be tempting to have someone else take over for a little while...and you'll see players' sigs be different on different cards from time to time. Really the only kind of card that makes sense in being valuable is an actual game-used card, because there's a piece of jersey that was worn in an actual game...but those have become so watered down and now you don't know if the jersey was worn by that player in a game or was slipped on for two seconds by the equipment manager. And as a whole, why are pieces of cardboard with a players picture, name, and stats on them in general special? So really, why is any of it worth anything? You have to look at it in the context of the hobby though...they have value because we as collectors give them value. And that reflects in the value of the cards. The majority of collectors value autos, so they're the most valuable. Fewer people value RCs as much, but many more than value base cards...so RCs are worth less than autos, but more than base. It's all a function of how many people give value to a certain kind of card.

Not looking that deep, I love RCs...they're the first year of cards of a player, they tend to hold their value relatively well. The first of something is usually more valuable than the subsequent ones. Beyond that, who knows...but that could be said about this whole hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by OnePimpTiger View Post
    And as a whole, why are pieces of cardboard with a players picture, name, and stats on them in general special? So really, why is any of it worth anything?.
    lol, i was at target a while ago and i saw a box for some sort of windex mop, the cardboard box was glossy and shiny similar to a boman chrome or starquest card, and i thought people dont keep and treasure these things yet if there was a picture of lincecum with some stats on it id throw it in a sleeve and treasure it forever...

For profit:
    Well, todays RC cards people look at them as money makers, even some guy named Eugene Rydanski from an Exquisite-type product that sells for $300. The price stays there or goes up in the short term because people want to buy it and flip it. Same goes for "well-known" rookies from new products.

Then, as Jamming said, they ALL go down in value eventually, except for maybe less than 1% of any player, any brand, any year.

So, for recent times, people do it for profit.

For collecting purposes:

Otherwise, why wouldn't collectors just wait to pay a relatively low price for one; escpecially if it's for collecting purposes- for one's PC so to speak...?

If I'm going to collect a RC card of player, and aquire it, say, after 3years of it's release, and then keep it forever, what the heck is the big deal waiting for the price to go down? All because of them darn flippers!!!! grrrr!

So, for collecting, it's all about the players first card, and usually collected for that reason.

My Guess would be how rare some of the older Rookie Stars cards are.

With Todays market there are alot of Product that will produce a rookie of a certain player, Back in the day there were maybe 1 or 2, so this makes the odds of pulling one of there rookies even harder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast