Chasing John Tavares: a look at the NHL draft's top prospects

BY: Ken McKenna

The 2009 NHL Draft is now just a month away. Draft-eligible players under consideration by the 30 NHL teams have completed their seasons. Scouts are making their lists and checking them two and three times in preparation for the prospect haul that begins June 26 in Montreal.

Two groups that have largely finished their work for the 2008-09 season are the NHL's Central Scouting Services (CSS) and the independent International Scouting Services (ISS). CSS presented its final rankings in April, and have only the NHL Draft Combine before completing its prognostication of the talent available in this year's draft. ISS released its May rankings and have one more, final ranking to release before starting the process all over again for next season's prospects.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=553797
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    There's been so much talk the last month (or so) about who is going to get drafted in what spot (will Tavares go #1?? Can Duchene go higher than #3???) and will any of the top picks actually be moved.

Here's a bold prediction: None of the top three picks (NYI, TB, COL) will be traded, and the order in which players will be taken will be EXACTLY how they're ranked: Tavares (NYI), Hedman (TB), Duchene (COL).

I swear, a lot of these hockey writers just come up with this stuff because they're board. There isn't enough real news around the draft (because none of those three teams are going to trade those picks) so they start writing articles about hypotheticals.

Quote Originally Posted by 30ranfordfan View Post
    There's been so much talk the last month (or so) about who is going to get drafted in what spot (will Tavares go #1?? Can Duchene go higher than #3???) and will any of the top picks actually be moved.

Here's a bold prediction: None of the top three picks (NYI, TB, COL) will be traded, and the order in which players will be taken will be EXACTLY how they're ranked: Tavares (NYI), Hedman (TB), Duchene (COL).

I swear, a lot of these hockey writers just come up with this stuff because they're board. There isn't enough real news around the draft (because none of those three teams are going to trade those picks) so they start writing articles about hypotheticals.
    The thing is if any of those guys hit the Hypothetical it just gives them bragging rights LOL. It just like any other draft.

p.s. Did you read any of the other articles that I posted as I put them up on the kids that will be taken down in the draft?

Don
    Hidden Content
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

Maybe the Sabres can offer up Roy, Tallinder, and a 1st for the Islanders 1st pick.

Then we can have both John Tavares play for a Buffalo team! (Sigh I can dream can't I)

Quote Originally Posted by wnysupport View Post
    Maybe the Sabres can offer up Roy, Tallinder, and a 1st for the Islanders 1st pick.

Then we can have both John Tavares play for a Buffalo team! (Sigh I can dream can't I)
    Dreams can be so good. Well there always a chance even though remotely slim LOL.

DON
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by doniceage View Post
    Dreams can be so good. Well there always a chance even though remotely slim LOL.

DON
    Heck I will throw in one of our prospects.

Give em Maxy lol
    Collecting:
    Lee Stempniak
    (96.9%, 28 1/1's, 5 Gamers, 3 Sticks) & Cal Clutterbuck (91.0%, 21 1/1's, 1 Stick)
    Also always looking for Paul Stastny & Current Sabres RC's
    Click link for: Hidden Content or Hidden Content

I know..... I think it really must be a bragging rights thing, and becuase it really is a consensus who will got #s 1, 2, and 3..... there's so much less to write about (none of the drama that we used to get at some drafts).

As for the other kids that are up this year.... I'm really interested to see where they all fall, in that 4-15 range. I've read quite a few write ups on the top prospects (admitingly, I don't know a lot of the 'W' & 'Q' players, or the Europeans).

The one that really intrigues me this year is Ryan Ellis. What he's been able to do in Windsor this year (and the WJC for Canada) has been pretty awsome. His size is, IMO, what kills him as far as being a higher pick (I think he'd be a top 5, if he were 6'3"). He's ranked to go mid-first round.... but I have a hard time comming up with a list of 10 names I'd draft over him.

With the top 3 all locks (as far as I'm concerned, anyway) I would bet on Evander Kane going to the Thrashers @ #4, the Kings are going to take Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson @ 5..... and then I think it gets even more interesting.

The Leafs are going to end up with Brayden Schenn. If they think Phoenix is going to take him at #6.... they'll send over a player or pick to make sure that doesn't happen. Jared Cowen (who I'm thinking ends up being a bust) goes to Phoenix, regardless of the order Phoenix and Toronto actually pick in.

After that, I don't know a whole lot about many of the prospects.... with the exceptions being Ellis (as I mentioned before) Kadri, or Kassian.

As an Oilers fan, and them picking 10th..... I'm really hoping for Kadri. If he's gone when they get to #10 (there's a good chance that might happen, but it's not a lock) I'd prefer to see them trade down 2-5 spots and then pick one of the other two I just mentioned (Ellis & Kassian).

Quote Originally Posted by doniceage View Post
    The thing is if any of those guys hit the Hypothetical it just gives them bragging rights LOL. It just like any other draft.

p.s. Did you read any of the other articles that I posted as I put them up on the kids that will be taken down in the draft?

Don