Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Malkin Non-Suspension: The embarrassment continues for NHL

By Greg Wyshynski

Last night's fight between Evgeni Malkin(notes) of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Henrik Zetterberg(notes) of the Detroit Red Wings left us hoping for two things. First, that the influx of North American-born former NHL goons into Russia's hockey league (Chris Simon(notes), etc.) will spawn a new generation of Eastern European brawlers that don't knock themselves down with a missed punch (Geno) or look like they're playing the bongos (you know who).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,167172
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

2. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store
    I have no problem with the NHL's ruling. Both guys are technically supposed to be out because they didnt have their jerseys tied down i think. What would the NHL do with no malkin and zetterberg in game 3? They just simply cant have that.

zetterberg wouldnt have been suspended.. just Malkin for instigating a fight in the remaining 5 minutes of the game. They need to either use the rule or remove it from the book. Like the Delay of Game penalties either black and white or remove it from the rules.

This is my take on the situation. The instigator rule is good as is. Plus it is good that the NHL has the right to rescind the suspension. And here is why.

We had two incidents this playoffs where this has been an issue. Malkin and Walker. In both cases i think the ref WRONGLY applied the instigator penalty. In both situations Zetterberg and Ward were going at it with another player at the time. In both cases Malkin and Walker jumped in to defend teammates. That is not just out of the blue integating a fight for no reason. When you start taking shots at players in the NHL (i'm not saying either Zetterberg or Ward were wrong in doing so) you have to expect someone to step in and stand up their guys. Thats all this was. There should have been no integator penalty called in either situation. The league has to step in and protect a player from a suspension when the ref applied the penalty improperly.

Quote Originally Posted by griff2311 View Post
    This is my take on the situation. The instigator rule is good as is. Plus it is good that the NHL has the right to rescind the suspension. And here is why.

We had two incidents this playoffs where this has been an issue. Malkin and Walker. In both cases i think the ref WRONGLY applied the instigator penalty. In both situations Zetterberg and Ward were going at it with another player at the time. In both cases Malkin and Walker jumped in to defend teammates. That is not just out of the blue integating a fight for no reason. When you start taking shots at players in the NHL (i'm not saying either Zetterberg or Ward were wrong in doing so) you have to expect someone to step in and stand up their guys. Thats all this was. There should have been no integator penalty called in either situation. The league has to step in and protect a player from a suspension when the ref applied the penalty improperly.

So if Zetty and Ward were already going at it with another player at the time as you say the proper call should have been 3rd man in and that would mean see you later Malkin and Ward.
    D. Keon,T. Horton , Paul Henderson, Blank Backs and inserts from ITG 1972
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by waf View Post
    So if Zetty and Ward were already going at it with another player at the time as you say the proper call should have been 3rd man in and that would mean see you later Malkin and Ward.
    You re-watch both plays and then tell me if the third man in applys.

It was a total scrum at the end of wings pens game the other night.

And if you watch the Walker Ward altercation, Walker had already gotten Wards attention before he dropped the gloves.

If you think a third man in should have been issued... the NBA finals start shortly i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by griff2311 View Post
    You re-watch both plays and then tell me if the third man in applys.

It was a total scrum at the end of wings pens game the other night.

And if you watch the Walker Ward altercation, Walker had already gotten Wards attention before he dropped the gloves.

If you think a third man in should have been issued... the NBA finals start shortly i believe.

Was just quoting you. You were the one that said they were already involved with someone else
    D. Keon,T. Horton , Paul Henderson, Blank Backs and inserts from ITG 1972
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by waf View Post
    Was just quoting you. You were the one that said they were already involved with someone else

Yes they were involved with someone else and no the third man in does not apply. If you watch the plays you can understand how that works.

My take is this. The rule itself is pathetic. It's the NHL's way of making sure the "we must send a message" type fights don't happen late in the game. If you're going to allow fighting, allow it. Either ban it, or allow it. None of this half way stuff. Make it a black and white issue, and we wouldn't have these conversations every time the NHL hands down another suspension.

This was not a case of coach sending out his goons at the end of a game, this was a case of a star player (Malkin) getting frustrated, and starting a fight in the last few seconds. Fortunately, the NHL already had a loophole written into the rule (click through on the link Don provided, and you can see the full rule written out):

"The director of hockey operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria. The criteria for the review shall include, but not be limited to, the score, previous incidents, etc..."

What this loophole means is "If Sean Avry does it, or someone's goon does it, he'll get an extra game. If a Star player does it, we'll let him off". Technically not suspending Malkin is well within the rules. The incident was reviewed by the league, and it met some kind of criteria they just made up, and don't need to tell us about, so the suspension was lifted.

I don't think Malkin did anything to deserve more than the ejection he got. The rules are fuzzy at best. It's yet another example of the NHL making up the rules on suspensions as they go along. Until they end this practice, the league is going to continue to be a laughing stock.

The only thing tat was embarrassing was the way they were flinging there mits around. Reminded me of Semin and his temper tantrum back in January

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast