Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

No Ovechkin in OPCP/The Cup this year..

Just saw this on the UD Facebook page so I thought I would share it.

Upper Deck wrote21 minutes ago

Just received some less than ideal news. Alexander Ovechkin backed out of the deal with us so he will not be appearing in O-Pee-Chee Premier or The Cup this season unfortunately.

Heres the link to the page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...file#topic_top

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    Ouch. That will hurt somewhat. I would assume that just applies to autographed cards, but let's face it, these are the staples of these two sets.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    Ouch. That will hurt somewhat. I would assume that just applies to autographed cards, but let's face it, these are the staples of these two sets.
    Well, the rookies, plates, and other chase cards are what drive the cup. I dont know what drives OPCP because Ive never bought it.

Wow, I guess I gotta give Sid the Kid another one up on AO for at least signing cards to get in the hands of his fans.

Ovechkin backing reflects very poorly on him, whether it was his own personal decision or the people he hires to make those decisions. He has to be savvy enough to know how many people collect trading cards and look forward to his signature being included.

Not cool to make a deal like that with UD and then blow them off.

On the flip side, is it possible the economy has hammered UD so bad that they couldn't meet his price and they used this as a way to save face, pinning the blame on AO?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]THE GRICE BOYS: Hidden Content

My son Austin's Anze Kopitar
    PC:Hidden Content
    Article #1 I wrote for SCF!
    Hidden Content
    Article #2 I wrote for SCF!Hidden Content

either way these guys makes millions of dollars a year because people want to watch them play hockey. Even if the money wasnt as much as they'd like, they should still man up and do it for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerialthriller View Post
    either way these guys makes millions of dollars a year because people want to watch them play hockey. Even if the money wasnt as much as they'd like, they should still man up and do it for the fans.
    Like I said, Ovechkin has to be informed enough to know the trading card segment in hockey collectibles is big and many people use this as their only means of acquiring his signature.

Not a good PR move AO.................

Hidden Content

Ao is a collector himself. Maybe not cards, but he collects game used signed sticks of players he admires or plays against.

I'm guessing Barry that his agent isn't much of an agent as well. Personally I could care less. His autograph looks like crapolla!

Quote Originally Posted by Nashrules View Post
    Ao is a collector himself. Maybe not cards, but he collects game used signed sticks of players he admires or plays against.
    Ok...............so are you inferring he SHOULD understand what it's like to be a fan/collector and collect keepsakes/collectibles? And that he SHOULD sign his cards and not renege on a deal?

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sholi2000 View Post
    I'm guessing Barry that his agent isn't much of an agent as well. Personally I could care less. His autograph looks like crapolla!
    I agree Shane, his autograph is hideous, but that doesn't change the fact he is a highly valuable and collectible asset within the hobby.

His cards along with Crosby and the current year rookies are what drive the majority of wax sales for the hockey trading card industry for UD.

His backing out screws them big time as well as the distributors/dealers/hobbyists who have pre-ordered O=Pee-Chee Premier and counted on his cards for value.

UD has blame in this too I think.

You have to wonder if UD conveniently released this now after almost all thier OPC Prmeier orders are in?

I do.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast