Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Washington Capitals Colorado Avalanche
    See rockstartrev's Items on eBay Instagram:

It's illegal and I will leave my comment at this.

Very well said. Stuff like that does make it a bit of a weaker appeal, even for the experienced collector. Course if he had never got caught, who would have ever known it was a fake
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

Collecting Matt Duchene, Nathan MacKinnon and Cale Makar
    All Seattle Kraken Memorabilia Cards Hidden Content
    All Colorado Avalanche Memorabilia Cards Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very well said. Stuff like that does make it a bit of a weaker appeal, even for the experienced collector. Course if he had never got caught, who would have ever known it was a fake

Exactly, this furthers my point and begs the following question. Why do we place a certain level of prestige on who the manufacturer is, whether it be Joe A getting a paycheque from UD, or Joe B who works on the card later, and why do we let this detract from the appeal of the card?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See piggy1918's Items on eBay

Exactly, this furthers my point and begs the following question. Why do we place a certain level of prestige on who the manufacturer is, whether it be Joe A getting a paycheque from UD, or Joe B who works on the card later, and why do we let this detract from the appeal of the card?

I think there are 2 important things to consider:

1. Nobody would fake a non-gameworn card. Almost all cards that have manufactured patches are already logo patches. So your point on who doctored the cards (assuming they are both manufactured) is not relevant. Nobody would fake a manufactured patch because there is no profit in it.

2. If it is game-worn, and the card is doctored, I lose that connection to the player. That's the whole reason we buy game-used cards, and why manufactured logo patches don't sell for anywhere close to the real thing.

And as others have said, this is sickening to me as well. This is why I almost prefer normal 3 or 4 color patches, with straight lines. The logo patches, while nice, always make me worry it's a fake.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

This is stupid, and I'm glad he was caught. We want the official jersey won by the player, not some stupid other jersey

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See briannjen's Items on eBay

yeah i dont know where you are getting this non-game worn patches from. Are you talking about the OPCP Stitching cards or something? Which sets feature random jersey bought for $30 on ebay? Seriously, they cant even be using official jersey to make these fakes because they wouldn't make any money on it. An official NHL jersey costs over $300 and he sold some of those fake cards for under $100.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think there are 2 important things to consider:

1. Nobody would fake a non-gameworn card. Almost all cards that have manufactured patches are already logo patches. So your point on who doctored the cards (assuming they are both manufactured) is not relevant. Nobody would fake a manufactured patch because there is no profit in it.

Alright, this makes sense, so essentially this tampering only occurs with game-worm cards, correct? This is something I do indeed have major issues with.

At the same time though lets assume, for theoretical purposes, that tampering does exist in manufactured patches (it must happen once in a while). In this scenario, would you agree that my statement holds true, that the card should not be regarded differently using an objective mind set?

OR, are manufactured patches only used in sets that depict a specific part of a jersey (a number or letter etc.), and thereby exclude the notion of variable patterns on patches and thus eliminate the plausibility of tampering with such a card?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See teamchevelle's Items on eBay

I wonder how often these cards end up shows and not online, very hard to catch someone doing that. I think UD has to make a better effort to make these tamper proof. Sadly I suspect the courts will not look on this as being that big a deal, I hope I am wrong.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See briannjen's Items on eBay

yeah im pretty sure the whole point of manufactured patch cards are to get that specific patch. Theres no point in taking out the UD one and putting in your counterfeit one.. If patch cards werent mostly game worn they would just make all the patches great looking instead of having the solid color ones.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Oh alright, so these tampered ones are strictly gameworn, in that case its a terrible thing to do, along the same lines as counterfeit autographs.

But say, on the other hand, that people like this guy change their approach to the following:

1. Buy gameworn jerseys to use and find a way to prove their authenticity.
    2. Specify that they have tampered with the cards, don't lie about it.

If these two qualifications were met would you guys still undervalue the cards, or see them as "illegitimate", even though this brings us back to the argument of "Joe A with a UD paycheque manufacturer vs. Joe B on the street manufacturer, both cards use gameworn jerseys, so technically no difference other than different Joes"

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See paper-history's Items on eBay

Now we all got our opinons and thoughts of this guy all said and hopefully done. Whats the next step being done and what has been done about this guy ??

Dale

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast