Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kylefanbsb1963's Items on eBay

Hurting the hobby...all sports cards...not just NASCAR

I posted this in the General Forum....but thought my friends here in the NASCAR forum might not read it...

I was reading the Sunday Paper and noticed a little ad under the "garage sales / flea markets" section:

Jackson Conference Center (formerly Holiday Inn) Coin Show, Sunday, 9 to 3.

I'm NOT into coin collecting and decided to pass on this.

I called the Conference Center today to talk about arranging Sports Card Shows sometime in the future and was asked why I didn't attend the one on Sunday.

Of course I explained that the show was advertised as a coin show and NOT a card show.

The manager politely informed me that while it was called a Coin Show there were numerous sports cards and memorabilia vendors. She also said the turn-out was poor.

So...if you are running a show...DON'T ADVERTISE!... and I won't show up!!!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lea_defoote's Items on eBay

Man, if ad space is so precious would it be so hard to call it a collectibles show? At least then, any one interested might call to see what vendors are signed up to be there.

-Tom

SCF Rewards
    Country

Card and collectible shows in my area are steadily on the decline. When I lived in Florida there were sports card and collectible shows almost weekly at one place or another.
    Here in Upstate New York we get one once in awhile at a mall about an hour from me and one at a Community Center about an hour and half from me. Other than that, there isn't much at all to go to.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (18) NUTS
    Country
    See SHLBYSALEN's Items on eBay

what is killing these shows besides no advertising is ebay and trading forums.

When I go to the local mall show and the guy wants 25.00 for a jack ingram bronze autograph. that sells 5.00 on ebay why would you buy.

What kills me is the ones that try to play you like your stupid. No thats rare PLEASE.

After you go and see these ultra inflated prices a couple of times you quit going back.

I know dealers have overhead etc. but you cant overcharge and keep people coming back.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The tables at the mall are $25 each. There isn't that much overhead except for inventory, and most don't have all the brands and lines of cards currently available. The last card show I went to had very few vendors with new boxes of merchandise.
    I used to be a dealer at shows and it got to the point there was simply too much out there to be able to afford to buy 2 or 3 boxes of each brand. And it never failed, the brand I didn't buy was the brand that everyone wanted. it got to the point it wasn't worth it to try and keep up anymore so I got out of it. I think alot of the vendors today are faced with the same thing, especially if they are trying to cover all sports. I just dealt in Nascar.