Did you see the John Mayer Trio on Conan?

That is why John Mayer is still (at least partially) the man.

Back in the day (I think it was some time in September 2000), my roommate at Clemson said this guy's playing at the "Welcome Back" concert on campus that we have to go see. Now my roommate was (and still is) a music junky of the highest degree...this guy introduced me to sooooo much good music, he has played in a band since he was like 16, he plays guitar, bass, piano, some drums, pretty much anything...so when he says we have to see him, I listen even though I'd never heard of John Mayer.

We get there and it sucks...it's bubble gum, poppy crap that all the little girls scream along to and I begin to question my roommate, in more ways than one. And later that night or the next day I also hear stories about Mayer hitting on every girl in sight, asking a group of girls who's going to be the "lucky girl" to sleep with the "rising star" and stuff like that...so not only do I hate his music, but it seems like he's a real d-bag too.

But a few days later, my roommate lets (actually makes...he had to) me listen to what he had heard by Mayer...his actual music, not his sell-out pop teenage girl anthems. And it is really good, the guy is a monster on the guitar. So he's the perfect example of a sellout...still hard to like that.

Then he starts the John Mayer Trio with Pino Palladino (replaced John Entwistle in The Who) and Steve Jordan (drummer for Stevie Wonder and the Blues Brothers) almost by accident and, thankfully for the world, he has an outlet for "real" music. The guy knows his music and I don't just mean how to play...he's influenced by the best in blues and rock guitar, he knows every band, he had his own music column in Esquire for a while...he's a student of music. And it shows, the guy can play pretty much anything...but he's at his best when he's wailing on the blues. He still puts out some pop crap, which I pay very little attention to, but I will always try to see the Trio when I can.

So anyway, check 'em out when you get a chance...I know, an extremely long and boring story to say "Hey, check out this band"...I was bored, lay off me!

I'm a total music nut with over 1,200 cd's so I have a totally open-mind for music....but I just can't get into this guy. He started off as a Dave Matthews clone & that has stuck with me over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Offender_Mullet View Post
    I'm a total music nut with over 1,200 cd's so I have a totally open-mind for music....but I just can't get into this guy. He started off as a Dave Matthews clone & that has stuck with me over the years.
    I completely agree about his solo stuff...and a bad DMB clone at that. But have you listened to his Trio stuff? Nothing at all like his solo work...his solo stuff is pansy, bubble gum pop, but his Trio stuff is good ol' fashioned blues with amazing guitar. The darkest night and brightest day different.