Swine Flu Declared A Pandemic By WHO

Swine Flu Declared A Pandemic By WHO

Swine flu is now formally a pandemic, a declaration by U.N. health officials that will speed vaccine production and spur government spending to combat the first global flu epidemic in 41 years. Thursday's announcement by the World Health Organization doesn't mean the virus is any more lethal _ only that its spread is considered unstoppable.

Since it was first detected in late April in Mexico and the United States, swine flu has reached 74 countries, infecting nearly 29,000 people. Most who catch the bug have only mild symptoms and don't need medical treatment.

WHO chief Dr. Margaret Chan made the long-awaited declaration after the U.N. agency held an emergency meeting with flu experts and said she was moving to phase 6 _ the agency's highest alert level _ which means a pandemic is under way.
    I had basically stopped reading anything about the swine flu so I missed this when it happened last Thursday. Why have I stopped reading anything about swine flu you ask? This should explain it:

Swine flu pandemics ot the past
    Flu pandemics (AP) -- epidemics on a global scale - have struck three times in the 20th century and once in the 21st century, varying widely in their severity. Here's a look at the world's flu pandemics.

- The 1918 Spanish flu: This pandemic may have been the deadliest outbreak ever, with experts estimating it killed between 20 million to 50 million people worldwide. It apparently began in the United States, but attracted attention when it started having a big impact in Spain.

- The 1957 Asian flu: This new strain was identified in China and caused two waves of illness, the first hitting primarily children while the second mostly affecting the elderly. In all, about 2 million people died around the world.

- The 1968 Hong Kong flu: This pandemic spread globally over two years from Hong Kong, having its biggest effect on the elderly. It killed about 1 million people.

- The 2009 swine flu: Swine flu has infected nearly 30,000 people in 74 countries so far, killing at least 144 people. The pandemic declared Thursday is the first of the 21st century.
    20-50 million...2 million...1 million...144. 144. I'll repeat, 144. No zeroes after it, just 144. Considering regular flu kills 30,000 people per year in the US and has killed more people in the US than the swine flu has worldwide since the outbreak started in April, forgive me if I don't panic.

no need to panic for sure.....but i almost brought this up last Thursday as well, since the day the declared it a "stage 6 pandemic", or something like that, was also the same day that i got an email from our school district telling us there were 3 cases at one of the middle schools. Swine Flu was on the front page of Friday's paper here

i think people should be careful, but not panicked...use common sense...stay away from somebody who's coughing, wash your hands before you eat...you know, the stuff you should be doing regardless