Question THE definitive hockey card list

Hello hockey card enthusiasts, I present you one of your toughest challenges yet but one that should spark PLENTY of debate, feedback and, most importantly, FUN!

I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback and if you have anything else you think I should have put on there, PLMK.

If you don't have 10, that's fine, just let me know which and why. It's easy to say a Sidney Crosby Cup rookie, but give your argument as to why!

Here are your lists, let the debates RAGE!

EDIT: Revised to make life simpler!

Top 10 hockey cards of all time

Top 10 hockey sets of all time
    Last edited by Prime B; 06-16-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: REVISED: Too much brain strain!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]THE GRICE BOYS: Hidden Content

My son Austin's Anze Kopitar
    PC:Hidden Content
    Article #1 I wrote for SCF!
    Hidden Content
    Article #2 I wrote for SCF!Hidden Content

Don't have time to fill out the whole list myself, but I will offer up some suggestions:

Best RC: Wayne Gretzky OPC -OR- Georges Vezina C55

Best Memorabilia Card: 2000/01 BAP Memorabilia Georges Vezina pad card (With Vezina pictured)

For autographs, Sign of the Times is THE set. Hardsigned, always nice looking card.
    For the players, autos of Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Brodeur, Maurice Richard, Ovechkin, Crosby are the bests you can get. Players like Kurri, Robitaille, Toews, Mason aren't bad either.

I'll give a list of the top 10 RCs of all time:

1. Wayne Gretzky 79-80 OPC
    2. Gordie Howe 51-52 Parkhurst
    3. Georges Vezina C55
    4. Bobby Orr 66-67 Topps
    5. Patrick Roy 86-87 OPC
    6. Sidney Crosby 05-06 The Cup
    7. Eric Lindros 90-91 Score
    8. Maurice Richard 51-52 Parkhurst
    9. Bobby Hull 58-59 Topps
    10. Mario Lemiuex 85-86 OPC

The reasons why are going to differ greatly. I'm not really putting any on there because of their specific value.

Gretzky gets top spot simply because it probably is the most identifiable hockey card ever printed. Most of my friends wouldn't recognize any of the cards on my top 10 list (well, maybe the Lindros) other than the Gretzky. It's the RC of the greatest player of all time, it has to be #1.

Howe gets the #2 slot, because for anyone collecting vintage (pre-1980 vintage) this is the crown jewel of modern hockey cards (starting from 51-52, and on).

Vezina is #3 for, for a similar reason to Howe. If you got back to the pre-war cards, this is THE card to own.

Bobby Orr getting #4 is very deserving. One of the best, and most popular, players ever. Very valuable, and old enough that they're hard to come by.

Patrick Roy, because it (along with Lemieux) is one of the best post-Gretzky cards..... in the 1980s era when "investment collecting" became a big thing, and it was actually worth investing in. Put Roy ahead of Lemieux, because (IMO) Roy is still more popular in the hobby today.

Sidney Crosby's RC from The Cup has to make the list. It is the epitome of everything the hobby has turned into: Make things as limited as possible, so you can get better sale prices. Rookie Cards now, IMO, are really just inserts, but they follow the same numbering system as the base set, so they must be RCs. The fact that the collecting public allowed this to happen, I don't think is a good thing. I've got nothing against making ultra limited patch / auto cards of players..... I just still have a hard time figuring out how they're considered part of the "base set". Being number 123, instead of RP12 means everything.

Eric Lindros @ the #7 slot. This card has to be in there. It was the direct cause of a rule stating that card companies could not sign players to exclusive agreements (Score had one with him, until he joined the NHL). It was the first of many cards picturing players in their Junior or National uniforms.... and the NHL eventually banned any cards of players who hadn't yet played an NHL game (otherwise, we would have all been getting Sidney Crosby RCs 3 years before he was drafted).

Mario Lemieux gets onto the list, for the same reasons Patrick Roy did.... I just think the Roy is more popular. Same with the Bobby Hull (vs the Bobby Orr) and the Maurice Richard (vs the Gordie Howe).

Quote Originally Posted by nic11 View Post
    For autographs, Sign of the Times is THE set. Hardsigned, always nice looking card.
    For the players, autos of Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Brodeur, Maurice Richard, Ovechkin, Crosby are the bests you can get. Players like Kurri, Robitaille, Toews, Mason aren't bad either.
    That one's a little too "of the moment" to possibly be considered in a top ten list of all-time. Yes, SOTT is a great set but there's no way a Mason fits into the definitive list of all-time.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 241 Unique Cards + 14 1/1's!!!

2018-19 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Brendan Gallagher, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content

This is why he is in my 'second' list, the 7 first players are the realy list for me. The others are just good autos to own!

Bumpity bump bump!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]THE GRICE BOYS: Hidden Content

My son Austin's Anze Kopitar
    PC:Hidden Content
    Article #1 I wrote for SCF!
    Hidden Content
    Article #2 I wrote for SCF!Hidden Content

my top 10 rc's of all time

1. Maurice Richard 51-52 Parkhurst
    2. Wayne Gretzky 79-80 OPC
    3. Georges Vezina C55
    4. Bobby Orr 66-67 Topps