Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pittsburgh Penguins Beware: The Salary Cap Reaper Cometh

BY: Todd Fleming

The 2009 hockey season is in the books. All is right in the world.

The Penguins stand alone atop the hockey universe, as champagne continues flowing out of the Cup in Pittsburgh.

But there is a voice in the back of my head yelling, “Danger!”

Something wicked this way comes, and it is the salary cap, hovering over Mellon Arena like the specter of the Grim Reaper with sickle raised.

I think the offseason may turn ugly for Penguins fans, or at the very least, uncomfortable.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-reaper-cometh
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

2. Kronozio
    And this is exactly why all the dynasty talk that inevitably comes up when a team wins a Cup just ain't likely to happen with Pittsburgh.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 241 Unique Cards + 14 1/1's!!!

2018-19 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Brendan Gallagher, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content

It's going to be tough, but I don't think the Pens are in as bad of shape as some people make them out to be.

Sykora and Satan are gone, for sure. It's probably VERY likely that Guerrin takes a pay cut to stay (unless he's going to go back to Long Island). Letang will get a decent raise, and they'll have to let Scuderi go. Fedetenko they can probably keep.

Hal Gill is probably gone, but he shouldn't be too hard to replace. Garon made for a decent backup, but they just need to find someone compitent to fit that role. If they get to the point where they're season is based on what the backup does.... they're probably dead anyway.Boucher? Will he really be missed? Craig Adams? I don't see him getting a huge contract elsewhere. I'd bet on the Pens resigning him.

After that, the trick is just making sure they find the next Rob Scuderi, and a couple of vetern wingers that want a good shot at a cup.
    Last edited by 30ranfordfan; 06-17-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Can not say im terribly worried. Wasnt the turn over too much form last year to this year? Didn't we lose a superstar off our roster form last year? Isnt that same core of guys intact like the last two years?

Quote Originally Posted by 30ranfordfan View Post
    It's going to be tough, but I don't think the Pens are in as bad of shape as some people make them out to be.

Sykora and Satan are gone, for sure. It's probably VERY likely that Guerrin takes a pay cut to stay (unless he's going to go back to Long Island). Letang will get a decent raise, and they'll have to let Scuderi go. Fedetenko they can probably keep.

Hal Gill is probably gone, but he shouldn't be too hard to replace. Garon made for a decent backup, but they just need to find someone compitent to fit that role. If they get to the point where they're season is based on what the backup does.... they're probably dead anyway.Boucher? Will he really be missed? Craig Adams? I don't see him getting a huge contract elsewhere. I'd bet on the Pens resigning him.

After that, the trick is just making sure they find the next Rob Scuderi, and a couple of vetern wingers that want a good shot at a cup.

The next Sucds is already on the roster and his name is Eaton. Eaton showed signs of greatness three years ago and then his last two season he was hurt (not his fault a couple of cheep shots.) But at the end of this year he was getting back into form, and now that his prep for next season does not inculde rehab, he should be back in top form.

I think its going to be like that for most of the top tier teams

As a Pens fan, I don't really worry about it. There are a few teams in much worst shape salary wise than Pittsburgh.

I am surprise about one thing though. capgeek.com says Letang is a RFA this year but capcentral says he still have one year to his contract and will be RFA next year.
    I'm pretty sure Caputi and Jeffrey will be in most of the season and we might get surprised at the camp with Zabotel and Tangradi. Some of the players that were hitting the cap this year brought to the table what another player winning 2 times less could have bring (Boucher, Satan, for example and heard Guerin was great in the locker room but on the ice I wasn't too impressed.)

I'm pretty sure Goligoski will be full time D next year and although he is a RFA I don't think he will receive many offers.

The cup may make a few players leave thinking they can take the cash and not worry anymore about winning a cup before there carreer ends since they just won it but I think it could help bring some guys too at a reasonnable salary.

The wings salary without signing Hossa will be 55.81 Million.

They have 7 UFA to sign for 2009-10.

And two RFA.

The Pens salary without the current UFA for 09-10 will be 46.58 million

13 UFA
    5 RFA

It appears that the Pens have room to build another contender. However that’s a lot of million dollar bargains. But having Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and MAF is a great core to build around.

Salary Cap for 2009 was 56 million and I don’t know what it is in 2010. But it appears that Detroit will be letting go of some guys as well.

Anyone know the numbers for 2010 salary cap? Did I hear 52 million? Go Canadiens Go

Quote Originally Posted by sholi2000 View Post

And two RFA.

13 UFA
    5 RFA

It appears that the Pens have room to build another contender. However that’s a lot of million dollar bargains. But having Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and MAF is a great core to build around.

Salary Cap for 2009 was 56 million and I don’t know what it is in 2010. But it appears that Detroit will be letting go of some guys as well.

Anyone know the numbers for 2010 salary cap? Did I hear 52 million? Go Canadiens Go
    According to the numbers i'm looking at Detroit sits at 53.75 Million for next season while Pittsburgh is sitting at 45.48 Million. As for the actual Cap number, I don't believe the NHL has released it yet. But I think it is expected to start dropping within the next few seasons
    Want List: Hidden Content

Trader List: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sholi2000 View Post

And two RFA.

13 UFA
    5 RFA

The final number has a lot to do, from what i understand, with whether or not the NHLPA decideds to opt for or against some sort of inflation adjuster. If the decided for it then i hear the cap number stays the same if they decide against it then it will drop to around the 52 mil area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast