Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Need some advice on which cards to go with...

I've recently gotten back into the hoby and have decided to focus on hockey. I've also got my 10-year old son into the hobby.

I enjoy collecting sets rather than chasing cards, which I understand will prove challenging in the new trends of the hobby. So, I'm looking for some advice from the veteran hockey collectors.

I've chosen 08-09 MVP as a starter set for my son. He'll probably stick with that for starters and we'll see what to do next year.

For myself, I've bought the following hobby boxes: 08 Ice (1), 08 Black Diamond (1), and 08 SP Authentic (1). I'm looking to get some more boxes for myself, but I'm torn on BD vs SPA. I realize that SPA costs twice as more, but I really like both of those sets. I'm leaning more towards one than the other, but wanted to get some advice.

Let me know what ya think.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks Vegas Golden Knights
    Twitter: @CenterIceCC See eahobbies's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Welcome back to the hobby! Great that your son is getting in to it too! It is a TON of fun! I think you should go with Black Diamond personally, you will get your money's worth out of it. In SPA you could get a TERRIBLE FW AU RC and SOTT. Out of BD, you will get at least one decent RC and the JSY player selection isn't bad. You also have a chance at an auto. Plus this year they have the new Premier Cuts which are big hits with hobbyists. Again, your choice, but IMO go with BD.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Niklas Hjalmarsson, Jaccob Slavin, Ryan Dzingel, Brogan Rafferty, Derek Whitmore, Blackhawks, & 2003-04
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Country
    See 41mears41's Items on eBay

SPA could get you a terrible FW Auto.. yet it is much better then BD. 3 autos, a patch in about 1/3 of the boxes, and inserts that hold value. Yea SPA blows BD out of the water, then kicks it to the moon. Then again you could get 2 BD for the price of 1 SPA

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks

SPA could get you a terrible FW Auto.. yet it is much better then BD. 3 autos, a patch in about 1/3 of the boxes, and inserts that hold value. Yea SPA blows BD out of the water, then kicks it to the moon. Then again you could get 2 BD for the price of 1 SPA

I agree, imo you also get more tradable cards out of the SPA.

SCF Rewards
    Country

i agree SPA> Black Diamond

in SPA you get 3 autos per box while in BD you get 2-3 jerseys per box and an auto every 2 boxes
    although black diamond is cheaper, SPA is a much better product

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

SPA is way better than BD in my opinion. So definitely go with more SPA

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (23)
    Country
    See blade35's Items on eBay

SPA is the only UD product that I buy.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Your getting back into it and you want sets.... I would go with BD.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See xirxious's Items on eBay

I prefer SPa, but back 5 years ago, thats where the top RC patches came out of. If you pull a decent patch/AU, it can pay for alot of teh FW AU RC. There are some nice SOTT cards aslo. My selling point is they are all hard signed cards. BD doesn't have the Higher End cards in it. I don't like the 4 little swatches on one card of one player.

If you are getting +6 boxes, might as well get a case, you will be asured the hot pull.
    Last edited by xirxious; 06-19-2009 at 05:42 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmlalala's Items on eBay

it depends, for trading value spa is definitely better. but if ur looking to build sets, then i would go with BD, especially if u can get 2 for the price of 1 spa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast