Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thumbs down UD fails again: Gretzky / Messier Dual Auto Shield

I said it from day one when I saw them, last year's dual shields were the worst examples yet from the first 3 years of The Cup. The silver paint pen on the metallic grey/silver background was beyond UGLY. They should have at least used gold.

Case in point, even worse those paint pens dry out and skip.

DEFINITELY worse when it is a potentially $5000-7000 card that gets screwed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRETZKY-MESSIER-The-Cup-DUAL-GU-NHL-SHIELD-AUTO-1-1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a10Q7c66Q3a2Q7c3 9Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1307Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50Q Q_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem19b49bcb52QQit emZ110404291410QQptZUSQ5fSMQ5fSportsQ5fCardsQQsale notsupported

OUCH!
    Last edited by Captngeetch; 06-18-2009 at 09:53 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (17)
    Country
    See bidds55's Items on eBay

Poor choice of pen, I agree, but most players managed to do a better job on the auto than Wayner. Wow that's bad!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bigal_pitts's Items on eBay

Ewww, the auto is a big thing on those cards....maybe UD doesn't know that....

And its not only that, but it also that the shield on the Gretzky is not even centered....

Bad effort UD....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See roy.the.greatest's Items on eBay

I agree the autograph is really not sharp (Gretzky). Definitively not great for an expensive card a bit altered by a technical detail like the bad selection of a pen by UD.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Poor choice of pen, I agree, but most players managed to do a better job on the auto than Wayner. Wow that's bad!

I agree that most players laid down a solid sig, but even so the choice of color was no go, gold is CLEARLY better suited here.

Plus, the paint pens are sketchy at best (as seen here) so why chance it on these cards that are one shot at signing? It's not like, ooops, TGO biffed card number 77 out of 100, toss it fellas...............

Go blue sharpie on a crisp white area or go home................

SCF Rewards
    Country

And its not only that, but it also that the shield on the Gretzky is not even centered....

Bad effort UD....

You don't even know how many shields I have seen with bad centering. And they can't use their low wage workers as an excuse there because the window is clearly cut out in the shape of what they want centered.

It makes me sick.........

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See LT21Titans27's Items on eBay

Its not the auto to me as much as the fact tha the Gretzky shield is jammed in there

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bigal_pitts's Items on eBay

You don't even know how many shields I have seen with bad centering. And they can't use their low wage workers as an excuse there because the window is clearly cut out in the shape of what they want centered.

It makes me sick.........

How much easier can it get.
    The workers at UD must have not been good at puzzles as child's.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Its not the auto to me as much as the fact tha the Gretzky shield is jammed in there

I'll say this in regard to your statement.

In 02-03 and 03-04, UD actually cut the window to fit each specific shield as the sizes varied. When they did the first dual shields in 04/05, the same thing I believe, they cut the windows properly or, at the very least, they were meticulous about the centering. Since then, nadda.

They were lazy in 05/06 and 06/07 Cup and just cut square windows so they didn't have to worry.

Last year's Cup? For the most part FAILURE on the shields........

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See goalieboy3124's Items on eBay

ITG anyone? I think so

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast