08-09 OPC 79-80 Retro Parallels in OPC Baseball?

I remember that the 79-80 retro cards for OPC Hockey were hot when they were released due to rarity. Then, they were 1 a pack in the update set... so while popular, their price should have come down a bit. But now, are they being inserted in the baseball product as well?

Can anyone confirm this?

Here's an online blogger who posted a 3 box break of OPC baseball and found a malkin retro card.

http://completist.wordpress.com/2009...09-o-pee-chee/

This insert set is going to become completely devalued.

2. Kronozio
    Why would UD put hockey retro parallels in a baseball set? Pure stupidity in my opinion
    Collecting:
    Lee Stempniak
    (96.9%, 28 1/1's, 5 Gamers, 3 Sticks) & Cal Clutterbuck (91.0%, 21 1/1's, 1 Stick)
    Also always looking for Paul Stastny & Current Sabres RC's
    Click link for: Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Yea, it's a mixed sport insert set that come 1/box. I think they limited it to hockey and baseball. It's a stupid idea. I didn't even mention it in my review of the product.

I was checking out UD's checklist a few days ago, but I guess they fumbled again - I only saw a few NHL ones in the set (only New York teams). Unless I'm remembering wrong...

I didn't see any retro cards listed in the checklist. I did see Lundqvist and DiPietro listed in a New York, New York multi-sport insert, but they were not 79-80 retro design.

If they did include 79-80 retro, I agree this is a silly idea. While 79-80 issue contains the Holy Grail of hockey cards, the 79-80 design means nothing to baseball fans. They would have to throw a few hockey cards in there to have a tie-in to the design
    Last edited by Drewk86a; 06-24-2009 at 04:07 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (83.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (25% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (59% complete) / Hidden Content (42% complete) / Brian Propp (51% complete)

I broke two boxes of the OPC Baseball and pulled two of the 79/80 retro cards. They are mixed sports, I pulled a Roberto Luongo and a Justin Morneau.

The Luongo is numbered different from the 79/80 Retro card from the OPC Hockey Set.

Scan of both the front and back of the cards below.