Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: built up

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

built up

how did you get your collection built up ?

I was talking to another member last night and this question came to mind.

did you buy bulk , picked out what you liked and put the rest in your tradebox ?

did you buy some blasters and choose what you would keep and the rest would be for trade?

I want to hear your story, so tell it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See g1ebe's Items on eBay

I had bulk 80s given to me..from about 3rd grade-9th I only bought retail cause I didn't know it was any different...now I'm more educated :).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gosox55's Items on eBay

From around 86 to 93 my son and I bought boxes and packs and build sets (or tried to) but we both decided to team collect in 93. I started with around 1000 different that were on hand and buying at card shows and trade nights around town build up to around 3000 or so.

After a while I started on eBay in 99 and got a lot there until recently. It was pretty much just maintaining a database and working all sales (garage-flea-etc) as well as shows then ebay and the internet for cards I didn't have. But then I'm a general team collector and don't buy for resale, so didn't (and don't) really go in for the high end stuff that I might flip, so I couldn't answer as to building that type of collection. I imagine it depends on the depth of your pockets.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See goeyj's Items on eBay

Mine has mostly been built through boxes/packs that I've picked up along the way. I've tried building complete sets for the sets I really like and the rest I'll keep select players and try to trade the other players off.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See schwood's Items on eBay

Starting out, I bought a complete 79 Topps Set. Don't even know what happened to that one now.

Then I bought packs for years. Built up sets of Topps Baseball only.

Then started with other sports. Hockey, Football, Basketball. Never got into those all that much. Built a few sets, and kept star cards.

About 8 years ago, I sold off all my commons to a shop. I bet close to 50,000 cards. Didn't get much for them. But, they were stripped of stars. I kept those.

Then went on to collect star cards of players I liked from all four sports.

Finally decided, collecting all those stars was way too much. I am really a Boston Sports team fan. So, in the past couple of years I have moved to just collecting anything from the Bruins, Celtics, Patriots and Red Sox, cards wise. So, that is what I collect now. I buy boxes to help my addiction. I buy singles on EBay and on here. I keep Boston stuff out of the boxes. The rest I trade. I love to trade. There is no better thing than taking a GU or two, putting them in a bubble mailer, and mailing them away. And then a few days later getting a GU or two back of your favorite team. It is like magic. Plus someone on the other end has the same feeling (you would hope). And you get rid of cards you don't really need for cards you do 'need'.

Now I trade trade trade and build my one Topps Base set each year. That's it!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See g1ebe's Items on eBay

Starting out, I bought a complete 79 Topps Set. Don't even know what happened to that one now.

Then I bought packs for years. Built up sets of Topps Baseball only.

Then started with other sports. Hockey, Football, Basketball. Never got into those all that much. Built a few sets, and kept star cards.

About 8 years ago, I sold off all my commons to a shop. I bet close to 50,000 cards. Didn't get much for them. But, they were stripped of stars. I kept those.

Then went on to collect star cards of players I liked from all four sports.

Finally decided, collecting all those stars was way too much. I am really a Boston Sports team fan. So, in the past couple of years I have moved to just collecting anything from the Bruins, Celtics, Patriots and Red Sox, cards wise. So, that is what I collect now. I buy boxes to help my addiction. I buy singles on EBay and on here. I keep Boston stuff out of the boxes. The rest I trade. I love to trade. There is no better thing than taking a GU or two, putting them in a bubble mailer, and mailing them away. And then a few days later getting a GU or two back of your favorite team. It is like magic. Plus someone on the other end has the same feeling (you would hope). And you get rid of cards you don't really need for cards you do 'need'.

Now I trade trade trade and build my one Topps Base set each year. That's it!

I feel the same way..I LOVE TRADING

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

I buy collections... i browse the local newpaper, criagslist, several other sources and just buy HUGE lots of commons... at any given time i have probably 200-300K commons in boxes. I pick out all the white sox and other cards i want then repackage and sell the commons off at shipshewana at my parents booth. They also own and antique shop so i sell stuff in there too.. I have been getting boxes of commons 6 bucks for 3200 so it is really inexpensive to buy these collections... I also browse ebay and on here for deals on nicer white sox stuff...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See schwood's Items on eBay

Have any Red Sox?

Have any Red Sox out of those boxes you would be willing to sell me?

I buy collections... i browse the local newpaper, criagslist, several other sources and just buy HUGE lots of commons... at any given time i have probably 200-300K commons in boxes. I pick out all the white sox and other cards i want then repackage and sell the commons off at shipshewana at my parents booth. They also own and antique shop so i sell stuff in there too.. I have been getting boxes of commons 6 bucks for 3200 so it is really inexpensive to buy these collections... I also browse ebay and on here for deals on nicer white sox stuff...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

I just sold 3200 ct box of red sox but i could probably come up with at least 800 more... i will start pulling some and get you a number this weekend. I am supposed to be spending time with my wife right now lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See whitmanhanssen's Items on eBay

Ya, in the late 70s, 80s and 90s I bought packs. Many Many of them, and like others sold off junk at the right time (350,000). Then used ebay to buy HOFs vintage and RCs and pre war. Now I never buy a box and just a handle full of packs a year. Yesterday and today I got a )T205 in VgEx, 52T #21 ExMt , 54T Preacher Roe NrMt, and very nice 54 Bowman NmMt+ common).
    All for the price ($80) of a cheap box with no junk and no cards that will de-value by next year. By doing this my collection has is worth much more to me personally and in value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast