Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truex to MWR

Exclamation Truex to MWR

The official announcement will come this weekend in Daytona, but early buzz around the Nascar community has Martin Truex signing a long term contract with Micheal Waltrip Racing. Terms and exact length of the contract are unknown at this time.
    Truex, long rumored to be unhappy with the lack of performance at EGR, made no attempt at keeping his search for a new ride a secret. Tapped to drive the Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet after Steve Park was relieved of his driving duties at DEI, Truex was considered to be the new "flagship driver" for EGR after Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s departure to Hendrick Motorsports.
    Truex's performance, however, has yet to improve. The only Nextel Cup Series win for Truex came at Dover in 2007. While Truex has shown signs of brilliance behind the wheel, lack of parts durability, untimely crashes and other factors have yet to allow Martin to shine as one of the premier drivers in Nascar.
    Truex came up to Nextel Cup after winning two Nationwide, (then Busch), Series Championships driving for JR Motorsports. Earnhardt Jr. convinced DEI to give Truex a ride after Steve Park was shown the door, bringing Bass Pro Shops on board as the primary sponsor.
    Truex was heavily favored to take Bass Pro Shops with him to RCR Enterprises earlier in the season as Childress has a long standing realtionship with the outdoor sporting goods chain. Earlier this season Bass pro Shops announced it would be cutting back on it's sponsorship of the #1 Impala SS due to slumping sales and the failing economy. Rumor has it Childress was unable to secure a primary sponsor for a 4th car for Truex, which heavily influenced Martin's decision to head to MWR.
    More details of the pending announcement will be forthcoming as more details are known.

2. Check out the Auctions from Packrip.com

If this is true (Which, according to MWR officials, their big announcement at Daytona is strictly about NAPA, not a driver), Michael Waltrip is doing a REALLY smart thing. Taking himself out of a car that he's not competitive in, and putting in a very solid driver.

Don't look now, but by the end of next year, MWR could easily have all three of it's in-house teams finish in the top-20 in points with Truex (if he goes), Reutimann, and Ambrose.

I think it is clear that the problem isn't the drivers it's the team. Truex will flourish with MWR I believe. They have shown with Beak that they are competitive. Ambrose has proven that he can be competitive too. It won't be long before EGR goes the way of Bill Davis racing or Furnitiure Row racing (or whatever it's actually called). Congrats to Teresa for running what was once DEI into the ground.

There's too much talk going around the shops in Charlotte today to discount the story. MWR was at the top of Martin's list since he began "feeling the waters" for a new ride. This is not surprising at all to me and I only hope if he does make this move that it pays off for him. He deserves way better than he's gotten so far at Mother Teresa's Raceshop.

Truex has been the rumored replacement for a while now and it makes sense considering Ryan Truex is an MWR development driver. Jayski is also reporting a very tiny rumor that Kahne is looking at MWR for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by stlmkiiisupra View Post
    Truex has been the rumored replacement for a while now and it makes sense considering Ryan Truex is an MWR development driver. Jayski is also reporting a very tiny rumor that Kahne is looking at MWR for next year.
    There have been a few sources who say that Kasey is looking at MWR. Rumor has it that Bud isn't very impressed with Kasey as a spokesperson either. I think they are disappointed that he doesn't ahve the persona Dale Jr. had when he wore their colors, but they should have known that going in.

Quote Originally Posted by NYAmped88 View Post
    There have been a few sources who say that Kasey is looking at MWR. Rumor has it that Bud isn't very impressed with Kasey as a spokesperson either. I think they are disappointed that he doesn't ahve the persona Dale Jr. had when he wore their colors, but they should have known that going in.
    Hah, I can't remember what race it was but I remember seeing Kasey take a sip of Budweiser in Victory Lane and he looked like he was about to throw up.

Maybe it's just me, but Kasey just doesn't seem to be the kind of spokesperson for a sponsor like Bud. I can see him doing some Aarons Dream machine commercials though and I think a sponsor like that would suit him much better.
    Now, I could see Kyle Busch having Bud, but gibbs won't allow alcohol or tobacco sponsors on his cars...
    This should be an interesting Silly Season, that's for sure.

Well, if Kasey looked older than 12, maybe he could market a sponsor like Budweiser. But every time I see the commercials with him talking about 'having a Bud', I just start laughing so bad....it's pathetic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast