Think Alexei Kovalev was happy to leave Montreal? Think again

BY: Pierre LeBrun

I don't think Alexei Kovalev was very happy getting squeezed out of Montreal, a place he absolutely loved living in, and out of a team he liked playing for.

The good news for the veteran Russian star is he has to move a mere 90 minutes down the highway to Ottawa after signing a two-year, $10 million contract with the Senators on Monday. And no matter what he says, I guarantee the fact he picked a divisional rival was not by coincidence. He will relish trying to rub it in every chance he gets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

Glad the Leafs didn't get him! Guy has the talent but not the drive IMO.

If hockey had a harlem globetrotters equivalent, Kovalev would fit right in.

In the NHL, he is dangerous when he decides to be, but decides to be far too rarely.
    I'm sure he'll burn the habs a few times, but not 5 mil/year worth.

Quote Originally Posted by bidds55 View Post
    If hockey had a harlem globetrotters equivalent, Kovalev would fit right in.

In the NHL, he is dangerous when he decides to be, but decides to be far too rarely.
    I'm sure he'll burn the habs a few times, but not 5 mil/year worth.
    We shall see as only time will tell. Sometimes a change of scenery can make the world of difference. Of course their the flip side of remaining the same.

Don
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

LeBrun is just wrong on this on all fronts. For him to say that Kovalev will "relish trying to rub it in every chance he gets" is a direct contradiction of what Kovalev said in his farewell interview with the Montreal media:

Kovalev harbours no bitterness toward Gainey. After his famous two-game time out in February, he said that his wife, Eugenia, and the Canadiens general manager are the only two people to whom he’ll bare his soul. Yesterday, he said Gainey “did a lot of good things for me and made it easier to play in Montreal.” Nor will he take special delight in sticking it to the Canadiens when the teams meet in Ottawa or at the Bell Centre. “I’ve been traded to Pittsburgh, New York and Montreal and I’ve never felt, ‘Okay, I’m going to destroy this team because this is what they’ve done to me,’ “ Kovalev said. “This is part of the job, part of the business. I’m not the kind of guy who, if you don’t do something, I’ll be mad at you for the rest of my life."

A writer can't just pretend that a person doesn't really mean what they say in order to get a couple extra hits on the Web. It says a lot about integrity. Kovalev was the most popular person in Montreal for the last two years, and I guarantee you that the response he gets from the fans when he returns to the Bell Centre will be very different from the reception Komisarek will receive--it might even be louder than the one Saku Koivu gets.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    LeBrun is just wrong on this on all fronts. For him to say that Kovalev will "relish trying to rub it in every chance he gets" is a direct contradiction of what Kovalev said in his farewell interview with the Montreal media:

Kovalev harbours no bitterness toward Gainey. After his famous two-game time out in February, he said that his wife, Eugenia, and the Canadiens general manager are the only two people to whom he’ll bare his soul. Yesterday, he said Gainey “did a lot of good things for me and made it easier to play in Montreal.” Nor will he take special delight in sticking it to the Canadiens when the teams meet in Ottawa or at the Bell Centre. “I’ve been traded to Pittsburgh, New York and Montreal and I’ve never felt, ‘Okay, I’m going to destroy this team because this is what they’ve done to me,’ “ Kovalev said. “This is part of the job, part of the business. I’m not the kind of guy who, if you don’t do something, I’ll be mad at you for the rest of my life."

A writer can't just pretend that a person doesn't really mean what they say in order to get a couple extra hits on the Web. It says a lot about integrity. Kovalev was the most popular person in Montreal for the last two years, and I guarantee you that the response he gets from the fans when he returns to the Bell Centre will be very different from the reception Komisarek will receive--it might even be louder than the one Saku Koivu gets.

I fully agree with your post and I just wanted to add that I don't think it "might" be, it will be... Everyone loves Kovalev here in Montreal, I mean they went out of their way to hold a rally for him (which I didn't particularly agree with). It's sad that we couldn't do it for our Captain too.