How an ehh Autograph Became a Prized Part of my Collection

By Keith Matheny aka UpNorthOutWestSo much of our sports card collecting hobby, for good reasons, is focused on the statistical greatness of the player and the card’s age, condition and monetary value.However, I recently had an experience where digging a little deeper in researching a baseball card in my collection caused me to look at [...]

More...

2. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store

hi

i bet there are more of those kind of stories out there but we are not aware of them.a hero indeed was he.thanks for the read.

cheers mike
    Hi All

My main focus in collecting are SPA Future Watch Auto's and UD Young Guns. My secondary collecting is of all years of Canvas YG's.

Hidden Content

That is why I read so many books written by and about baseball, the history of how much americas love for baseball is woven into the lives of its players and fans is full of great stories. And can make collecting subsets of cards that have true meaning. Not just $$$$ signs or the biggest stars. There is a lot of fun to be had by learning history.

That's a great story, thanks for sharing!

that's kind of like one of the people who pulled a cut card of Gene Baker many didn't really know too much about so their comments were more "oh well" and "sorry that sucks" mainly because his lifetime numbers were .265 avg with 39 homeruns until it was pointed out about the man and his life. Baker was the first black player added to the Chicago Cubs' Major League roster and if it wasn't for an injury he would have been the first black player to actually play for the club instead of Ernie Banks. He was the first black man to manage an affiliated team in the Minor Leagues. And, for two innings in September 1963, he was the first black manager in the Major Leagues. After that he was the Pirates top mid-west scout for 23 years

He didn't even play baseball in high school because the team was not integrated. It wasn't until he joined the Navy that his baseball skills were shown. He signed with the Kansas City Monarchs in 1947.

I think it just goes to show that if some people aren't familiar or can't recognize the name on their cut card, maybe they need to do just a little bit of research to see the reason they had the cut may have been for more than what they did on the field

Great story . . . Thanks. In my opinion, stories like that is what makes collecting vintage cards really fulfilling to me.