Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Contracts in the NHL

Worst Contracts in the NHL

Thomas Vanek, Buffalo Sabres, 7 years, 50 million (7.143 per). Now this is not a knock on Thomas Vanek, who is a great player and is going to be one of the best scorers in the league for some time. This has to do more with Buffalo and their mismanagement as an organization.

http://bruinsrumors.blogspot.com/200...ts-in-nhl.html
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

I dont think its that bad i have season tickets to the sabres and when he led the league in plus / minus and was tearing it up in points and goals he deserved it hes a really great scorer

It's tough to disagree with some of those assessments in my view. I particularly agree with the two mega-contracts handed out by the Blackhawks for Campbell and Hossa. That's big-time dollars and term that would likely be better-served going to Toews & Kane - it's nice to have a couple names on the marquee for a long time, but the 12-year deal for Hossa continues to astound me.

And I'm going to put on my bleu, blanc, et rouge glasses for a minute and state that I'm reserving judgment on the Gionta deal until at least 10 games into the coming season. I do think that the Gomez deal is whack and don't really know yet why Gainey took it on, but Gionta's got something to prove that he's worth that contract he just received.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    It's tough to disagree with some of those assessments in my view. I particularly agree with the two mega-contracts handed out by the Blackhawks for Campbell and Hossa. That's big-time dollars and term that would likely be better-served going to Toews & Kane - it's nice to have a couple names on the marquee for a long time, but the 12-year deal for Hossa continues to astound me.

And I'm going to put on my bleu, blanc, et rouge glasses for a minute and state that I'm reserving judgment on the Gionta deal until at least 10 games into the coming season. I do think that the Gomez deal is whack and don't really know yet why Gainey took it on, but Gionta's got something to prove that he's worth that contract he just received.

The hossa deal is bad just because you have toews and kane comming up for big time money. Kane gets at least hossa money and i don't see any other way of keeping toews with out being willing to make him the highest paid player on the team. Havlat would have been a more reasonable resigning that bringing in hossa. Granted havlat would have asked for around the same amount of cash per year, he more than likely would have been in the 5-7 year range. Meaning if you got into a cash crunch you would have a very reasonable chance at a trade. You just can't move that hossa contract if need be. As for the brian campbell contract, the team needed that kind of dman, and the market dictated that price, kinda left them with an unnessisary evil. The hossa deal could have been avoided though.

Gionta is a stud. To think otherwise is foolish. FTW.

As a hawks fan I feel the Campbell contract is horrible, it pays 7.1 mil a year until the 15/16 season. The Hossa contract is a cap hit of 5.2 mil for the length of the contract. I would have loved to see Havlet stay but his tendency of getting "hurt" is what cost him a multi year contract in Chicago.

I don't think they will have trouble keeping Toews,Kane and Keith after next year. If I remember correctly they lose about 14 mil in salary after next year. Plus I'm pretty sure they will end up trading one or two players before than to clear up some more space.
    Last edited by zunato; 07-13-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Want List; Hidden Content
    Trade List; Hidden Content
    15/16 OPC Platinum Wants; Hidden Content

I think the Hawks paid Hossa for too long. A shorter contract with more money per year would have been wiser.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut and
    Young Guns graded BGS 9.5.

As a Habs fan, I agree with RGM81. The jury's still out on the Gionta signing. Gomez was a disaster, and Cammaleri was a nice signing for a team with little or no offense.

Some people have criticized the Cammaleri deal due to the money and the size of the player but as griff2311 has aluded to, sometimes you gotta pay/take what the market offers. Not too many offensive players have moved so Cammaleri was probably the Habs best option.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut and

Some nice discussion here as the only way to know if contracts are good or bad is to see how the player performs to analysis in hindsight. Of course all the long time contract that teams are signing to me are just crazy as not even half of the players in my opinion will remain healthy throughout the length of those 12 year deals.

DON
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

DiPietro?

You'd think most teams would have learned from the Rick DiPietro fiasco.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut and

Worst contract in the NHL I think is for Brad Richards... whew... annual cap with of 7.8mil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast