Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Study recommends total ban on smoking for soldiers

Study recommends total ban on smoking for soldiers

A new study commissioned by the Pentagon and the Department of Veterans Affairs recommends a complete ban on tobacco, which would end tobacco sales on military bases and prohibit smoking by anyone in uniform, not even combat troops in the thick of battle.

According to the study, tobacco use impairs military readiness in the short term. Over the long term, it can cause serious health problems, including lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. The study also says smokeless tobacco use can lead to oral and pancreatic cancer...

...However, the suggested ban does not sit well with many in uniform, including retired Gen. Russel Honore, best known for coordinating military relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina-affected areas with an ever-present stogie. He said soldiers at war need to puff.

"When you're tired and you've been going days on end with minimum sleep, and you are not getting the proper meals on time, that hit of tobacco can make a difference," said Honore, who was in charge of the Army's training programs before he retired.

Other soldiers questioned whether this was a good time to stamp out smoking, given the Army's concern with a high suicide rate.

"For some, unfortunately, they feel that smoking is their stress relief. Well if you take it away, what is the replacement?" said Sgt. 1st Class Gary Johnson.
    Ridiculous.

2. The Card Swap

It sucks in general shortking ... what's next? The government is going to tell soldiers that they can't have any contact with their loved one's at home because they have noticed a trend that after they speak with family depression set's in or something stupid. It's a matter of choice if you want to smoke or not, tellin ya though .. if I were in the heat of battle and needed a stress relief it would either be a smoke or a few hundred rounds blasted!!

Here's how I see it:

1) People should have the right to smoke if they want...soldiers or no. Yeah, it's harmful and causes numerous health problems, but that is common knowledge and if someone still wants to, be my guest. That's what freedom is all about.

2) Soldiers should have the right to even more so than regular citizens. They give up their regular life to defend our country, they have very stressful jobs, and if they need something to take the edge off every once in a while, I have no problem with it.

I'll start with a disclaimer that I am not a soldier and do not smoke so it is hard for me to really know how much this would suck. Anyways, for comparison does anyone know what the restrictions are for alcohol on soldiers?

Quote Originally Posted by JeRmZ View Post
    It sucks in general shortking ... what's next? The government is going to tell soldiers that they can't have any contact with their loved one's at home because they have noticed a trend that after they speak with family depression set's in or something stupid. It's a matter of choice if you want to smoke or not, tellin ya though .. if I were in the heat of battle and needed a stress relief it would either be a smoke or a few hundred rounds blasted!!
    They're not telling anyone, they're recommending it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfan396 View Post
    They're not telling anyone, they're recommending it.
    At this point, they're recommending a ban...if it comes to a ban, then they will be telling them they can't.

Okay, then... to whom are they recommending the ban? Who is the undefined "them" in your above post?

There isn't an undefined group...the people who conducted the study on behalf of the Pentagon and Dept of VA ("they") recommended to the Pentagon and Dept of VA (also "they"...also referred to as "the government") that soldiers ("them") should be banned from smoking. The people who conducted the study are recommending the ban to the Pentagon and Dept of VA.

Quote Originally Posted by shortking98 View Post
    I'll start with a disclaimer that I am not a soldier and do not smoke so it is hard for me to really know how much this would suck. Anyways, for comparison does anyone know what the restrictions are for alcohol on soldiers?
    No alcohol restrictions and actually about 10 years ago the drinking age on US Military Installations was 18.

This is a pretty dangerous thing if something like this ever was ever a rule. You guys did see the reasoning behind it right? Saying it would decrease the health care cost well where does that stop? Do we start limiting the amount of times a week a soldier is allowed to eat fast food? And when does it make the leap to civilian lives from the military?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast