Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Habs sign Latendresse to year deal

Guillaume Latendresse

Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced the signing of forward Guillaume Latendresse and defenseman Shawn Belle (two way) to a one-year contract for the 2009-10 season.

Last season, Latendresse, 22, scored 26 points (14 goals, 12 assists) and served 45 penalty minutes in 56 contests with Montreal. Despite missing 21 games due to injuries, the 6-2, 230-pound right-winger ranked third on the team with 140 hits and recorded an NHL career-best plus-4 rating.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...sse_canadiens/
    WTTF :
    Erik Karlsson/Marian Hossa/Billy Smith/Curtis Lazar Rookies

Hidden Content

Only 1-year? I don't like it. Gui! came a long way last season (one of the few young Habs that actually progressed in their development) and I really would have liked to see a longer deal.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I agree I thought they would try to lock him up for longer
    WTTF :
    Erik Karlsson/Marian Hossa/Billy Smith/Curtis Lazar Rookies

Hidden Content

I don't like handling new contracts in that fashion. They treated Michael Ryder exactly the same way - give him a one-year deal after every season, scores 30 goals, narrowly avoids arbitration and signs a deal. It only works until eventually he's a UFA and gets sick and tired of it.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    Only 1-year? I don't like it. Gui! came a long way last season (one of the few young Habs that actually progressed in their development) and I really would have liked to see a longer deal.
    One year deal equals put up or shut up. If looks like Latendresse better put up some numbers or he'll be getting the shaft.

Very odd indeed.

Country
    SCF Rewards

Transferred Feedback
    (75) Hobby Insider

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta

He gives this guy a a one year deal and signs and trades for all the SMALLER PLAYERS of the NHL, to BIG DEALS, Gainey should have been fired years ago, he has pretty much ruined the team, I try to stay out of all talks on this site, but I'm truely upset with BIG BOB, what a GENERAL MANAGER, Fans need to boycott the team, just my 2 cents
    Last edited by capt55; 07-15-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Cool

Weird how we all think differently on Gainey. We all love the Canadiens but have so many different opinions on him.

I may change my tune if this upcoming season is no better than the last, but until then I support all his moves.

He just impresses me as a human I guess.

Country
    SCF Rewards

Transferred Feedback
    (75) Hobby Insider

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta

He has done nothing for this team, but ruin it, the better players all leave and the rest are small players, he said the team had to get bigger, so he signs 5'5'" Gionta to a 5 year deal, lets get REAL.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by capt55 View Post
    He has done nothing for this team, but ruin it, the better players all leave and the rest are small players, he said the team had to get bigger, so he signs 5'5'" Gionta to a 5 year deal, lets get REAL.
    He tried for LeCavalier, TB wouldn't let him go.

The team failed last year, he let those players go, and signed new players.

Sometimes you have to be happy with what you have. We can't all be like Washington and Pittsburgh and fall into Crosby or Ovechkin.

Bob has kept this team competitive every single season but one since he signed on. I'm pretty happy about that.

Lets hope 2010 will be a more enjoyable season, it could be worse, you could be a Leafs fan

EDIT: RDS Confirmed that Latendresse didn't accept Bob's two year deal. So Lats signed for 830,000.00.

Thumbs down

I really don't like this. I am assuming Gui is done in Montreal after this season. Given the Habs cap space, which has been entirely blown on smurfs for the next 5 years, if Gui has even a decent season, the Habs may not be able to keep him after this season.

I've said in the past that people can't challenge Bob Gainey's desire to help the Habs win, and I stand by it. But sometimes I really don't understand his logic. This is a player he traded up in the draft to select. Gainey kept Lats around as a 19 year old, arguably a year or two too soon.

TSN included his name (granted, as a dark horse)when discussing possible captains of the most storied franchise in hockey history!

Remember that this kid will be the age John Leclair was when he made his NHL debut, IN TWO YEARS! Remember how that went? Yeah, me too.

Seriously Bob, what the **** are you thinking?

On that note, dump your Latendresse cards now....I know a guy who'll trade you for them.

*Edit: having read Sholi's post about not accepting the 2 year deal, I now blame his agent.
    Last edited by bidds55; 07-15-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast