Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: StillBig20Fan

SCF Rewards
    Country

StillBig20Fan

1. Name: Carl Tilley

2. SCF ID: StillBig20Fan

3. Location Gadsden, AL

4. Give a brief history of what you do in everyday life. What are your hobbies?

I am a recent graduate of culinary school with a 4.0 average. I am employed at Century Restaurant and Bar at the Tutwiler in Birmingham, AL where I work as a line cook. I got married to Janet my best friend from culinary school back on March 30th of this year. Besides collecting cards, my other hobbies include watching movies, listening to music, reading Sci Fi (particularly Star Wars and Harry Turtledove books), I am an avid Civil War buff and used to do Civil War re-enactments til I tore my knee up back in 2001. On a side note, Janet has started collecting her favorite drivers Dale Jr and Kasey Kahne.

5. Give a brief history of when, how long and why you got into collecting. Please include whether racing was you first passion in collecting, if not, what was. What was the deciding factor that made the change to racing?

My first trading card experience goes back to 1977. My dad is a preacher (now retired) and after school we would hang out at the church before going home. One day I found some torn up Star Wars cards in the church yard. I took them and taped them back together and over the next few days and weeks would find one from time to time. Dad made a deal that we would go across the street to the mom and pop grocery and buy me some packs if I would throw the taped up ones away. This started a passion for trading cards like Star Wars, Charlies Angels, Grease, Baseball, Football, KISS, ANYTHING cardboard and I was hooked.

While I have followed NASCAR since 1977 because of Cale Yarborough and growing up in North Carolina, I started collecting racing cards because of a brash, young, talented driver who turned heads at the 1999 Daytona 500 be qualifying 2nd for the Great American Race - Tony Stewart. I didnt buy racing until 1999 VIP that I bought at K-Mart in Charleston, WV (where I used to live) and boom I was hooked. Soon thereafter I joined the old NTN2 group and branched out to collect man they call The Onion - Todd Bodine.

6. Your driver/driver’s you collect that this honor is for

Todd Bodine who I started to following and rooting for when he drove the Tabasco car which is my condiment of choice in cooking.

7. Do you collect any other sport, if so what.

Besides racing I maintain a modest Baseball Card collection that focuses on Pre 1980's Pittsburgh Pirates and player collections of Willie Stargell, Bill Madlock, Dave Parker, Doug Drabek, Jose Lind, Tim Wakefield, Tom Underwood, and members of the 79 Pirates. A smaller hockey collection that is only the Atlanta Knights (defunct IHL team) particularly JC Bergeron and Chris LiPuma, Old Edmonton Oilers - Jari Kurri, Andy Moog, Wayne Gretzky, Grant Fuhr, and Paul Coffey

8. Above all give us a break down again of your collection. Percentage owned cards to listed cards. Include some scans of your most prized cards.

Percent of base To my knowledge, I have 100% of base cards
    overall percentage of non-autographed cards - 298 of 321 for a percentage of 92.8%
    Pecent of numbered/sample
    • Number of Ebay Previews 2 of 2 100%
    • Number of Beckett Samples 5 of 5 for 100%
    Percent of Race Used Todd has no race used cards at this time
    Percent of Autographs - 24 of 33 for 72.7% (2 are redemptions)
    overal percentage of all cards - 322 of 357 90.2%
    Collection can be viewed here
    http://www.freewebs.com/stillbig20fa...odinewants.htm

Additional Items that make your collection stand out
    • Printing plates 5 different all from Classic from the mid 1990's front and back for 2 cards and a back for another
    • Postcards - 5 different 1 is autographed for me in person
    • Die-cast - 15 total 4 of which are autographed
    • Race Used Sheetmetal - 1 piece from his K-mart Car 2002 Daytona 500 autographed by Todd for me and 1 piece of his Craftsman Truck
    • Mini helmets - 2 different Tabasco both have been autograpged in person
    • Total in person autographs - 4 cards, 1 hand out, 2 mini helmets, 1 huge piece of sheetmetal, and 4 diecast.
    • I've met Todd on 3 seperate occasions
    • At one point, there was a picture of me and Todd when he signed my sheetmetal on his old website.
    9. Please enclose a personal picture of yourself so we can see the person behind the fantastic collection:

Me from Graduation

My Wife from after Graduation

10. In conclusion:

I am humbled and honored to be selcted for this. I know without great trading friends like Les, Mike, Steven, Pete, Randy, and a host of others, I wouldnt have half the Todds I have.

I do not accept PWEs

I actively trade for these drivers: Greg Biffle--Marcos Ambrose--NHRA

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Let me be the first to send congrats to Carl on this honor.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lea_defoote's Items on eBay

Congratulations Carl!

-Tom

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See kapperskloset's Items on eBay

WTG Carl!!! Congrats on this amazing honor!! Glad to have helped you with this endeavor!! Looking forward to helping you more in the future!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh Steelers
    Upper Deck ePack

Great collection, and congrats on receiving this honor!

Darin

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @JL_Long See gbfan601's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

Congrats, Carl!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tmorrow1957's Items on eBay

Congratulations Carl!!!

Tom