Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks Vegas Golden Knights
    Twitter: @CenterIceCC See eahobbies's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Two for me.
    First, a few days ago I bought a Hjalmarsson BAP RC /99 for cheap on eBay. I for some reason was carrying it around without any protection for it. I ended up kind of flailing my hand and accidentally threw the card across the room. Thankfully it was not damaged!

Second, one that'll haunt me forever...I was scanning eBay one day probably 6 years ago (must have been 05-06) and saw an 05-06 Artifacts Rookie Redemption of the Flyers...which was for Jeff Carter. Not only was this any redemption...it was the Gold 1/1 redemption. The title was pretty brutal and I didn't realize what the card was/would be worth. I thought the price was a bit high so I just scrolled on. How much was it you ask? $20.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Niklas Hjalmarsson, Jaccob Slavin, Ryan Dzingel, Brogan Rafferty, Derek Whitmore, Blackhawks, & 2003-04
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

ouch lol that one would hurt

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks Vegas Golden Knights
    Twitter: @CenterIceCC See eahobbies's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

However I have had an experience to make up for it. A few years ago I saw a thread for someone that wanted common GU and autos. I looked at some of his cards and only liked two cards. They were both relatively nice cards, MUCH nicer than common GU and auto cards, so I assumed I'd have to give like a HUGE amount of common GU and autos or even that a trade wouldn't happen. Even with the odds, I asked about them and asked what he would need for them. He said that 15 common GU and auto cards would be enough to get them. What were the cards I got you might wanna know? A Forsberg auto and my GORGEOUS 97-98 Beehive Auto of Maurice Richard!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (17)
    Country

I was fortunate enough to grow up when hockey cards were cheap. My grandfather would give me $2 to spend every weekend and it was good enough for 8 packs, and each pack had about 15 cards or more (plus a piece of gum!). Got comics instead during the summers.

I was also good at "flying" cards (you young ones wouldn't know anything about this). Knock-downs, far-sies, tops, stand-ups, rebounds, etc, plus scambles!. I had a little trick that help me control the flight of the cards a bit better. I was able to complete sets in the early 80's. I remember spending enough to buy 1 set of 81-82, but ended up with 3.

I remember having at least 8 Denis Savard RC's. A few found it's way into tire spokes.

When my grandmother passed away about 15 years ago, we were cleaning up some stuff when something yellow in the fireplace caught my eye. It was a corner of a hockey card wedged between 2 bricks to keep them from wobbling. I pulled it out and it was the corner of the card with a picture of the puck with the card number on it. I immediately thought "oh no!" Yep, 2nd year Gretzky OPC card.

That's not the worst for me. After collecting for 5 years, I hit high school. Packs were getting more expensive and giving less cards. Plus now I was getting too "cool" for cards. I had my old sets in a box, tied up with elastics. Eventually the elastics break and it's a big old mess. A few years later a family friend of ours stay with us for a few months. Their 10 year old son is just getting into hockey. He sees my cards and asks if he can have some. He favorite player is Gretzky. He has a bunch in his hand, so I say sure, except I don't want to give up his rookie card. I look at the back and look for any cards with less than 80 games. None there. Sure, take them. Problem was that Gretzky's RC shows his WHA stats too.

I've been fortunate enough to get a couple graded OPC and Topps RC, but still.

Just this past week, I've been finally able to finish all the sets from the 80's. Now going back to the 70's.

Not my story, but pretty painful too. A friend of mine was a huge Gretzky fan. Collected all his cards and would go for multiples. One day he gets in a huge fight with his dad. His dad takes all his cards and throws it into the fireplace. Ouch.
    Last edited by tiger tiger; 11-14-2012 at 01:57 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Plus now I was getting too "cool" for cards.

You can never be 'too cool' for cards.

BANNED

Country

O boy.... So 2 years ago I moved to Wilkes Barre PA for a few months. While there I visited the 24 hour WalMart late at night. One night I came out with 2 blasters of 10-11 Certifed and 1 UD Series 1. Must have been my night because I pulled a Parjaarvi (Killed his name) Redemption for a Freshman Fabrics Auto rookie /499 and in the series 1 I got Taylor Hall YG. So I had to make one more stop at a sheets for some food. I place the 2 cards in top loaders and place them in my glove box. The next morning around 5am I hear a truck pass my house and my car alarm go off. I ignored the alarm thinking ehh truck set it off. Low and behold I go out to my car to grab the cards and realize my passanger side door isnt closed, the glove box is trashed and the 2 cards are missing.

Found out some crack head was breaking into cars and stealing change and happened to stumble upon my cards. What grinds my gears to this day is knowing he probly sold a couple hundred bucks worth of cards for a quick fix totaling $20.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I sold both Stamkos CUP RCs (/99 & /91) for 1000$ combined. 2 & 3 colors respectively.
    Stupid me.

Country
    See gohabsgo89's Items on eBay

My grandfather gave me some cards that he had from 60's 70's 80's. I had like 15 at the time.

Upper Deck was releasing their new products with Sidney Crosby RC!

I went to a LCS and showed those cards to the owner (I didn't know anything about cards at that time, but WANTED Crosby RC so bad!)

He told me he could gave me 50$ for all my cards! I asked him if I could receive a Series 1 Upper Deck, trying to get a Crosby RC ! and obviously he said yes !

8 years later, I found an old Beckett with Joe Thornton on the front page.

I highlited everycards in 2005 that my grandfather gave me. omfg:

Messier RC, Lemieux RC, Kurri RC, Ciccarelli RC, Lafleur RC, Some Gordie Howe High ends, and... For sure... Gretzky OPC RC.

They were all in good condition as I remember.

Stupid me and Stupid LCS owner who completely made a lot of profit on me.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My grandfather gave me some cards that he had from 60's 70's 80's. I had like 15 at the time.

Upper Deck was releasing their new products with Sidney Crosby RC!

I went to a LCS and showed those cards to the owner (I didn't know anything about cards at that time, but WANTED Crosby RC so bad!)

He told me he could gave me 50$ for all my cards! I asked him if I could receive a Series 1 Upper Deck, trying to get a Crosby RC ! and obviously he said yes !

8 years later, I found an old Beckett with Joe Thornton on the front page.

I highlited everycards in 2005 that my grandfather gave me. omfg:

Messier RC, Lemieux RC, Kurri RC, Ciccarelli RC, Lafleur RC, Some Gordie Howe High ends, and... For sure... Gretzky OPC RC.

They were all in good condition as I remember.

Stupid me and Stupid LCS owner who completely made a lot of profit on me.

Ouch. That was pretty dishonest by your LCS owner. I know it's a business in many aspects of the hobby, but that was just plain rude.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Last month on eBay.

DDrum - Full Kit, Maple, 22. 16. 12. 10 and Snare. Only played about 4 times. 1,100.00 New at Retail. AAX Stage Hi-Hats, AAX Medium 16inch Crash, AAXplosion 14 inch Crash, 3 cymbal stands, 1 Hi-Hat stand, 1 DW5000 Kick Pedal, 1 Throne, 1 Snare Stand. All Tom Mounts/Hardware.

Total Retail Value - $1,950.00

I missed the auction by 6 seconds, as I had forgotten. Entire thing sold for $124.95 plus $55.00 Shipping.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast