Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Hobby Insider Boss

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Hobby Insider (204)
    Country
    See gomaz's Items on eBay

I had a UD Premier Datsyuk rookie stored in a screwdown since the year it was released. A few years ago when I converted to one-touches, I went to release the card from the screwdown and...you know where this is going....the screw was in too tight and a significant portion of the surface of the card was stuck to the screwdown and lifted right off the card. Card was Gem until then.

I was sooo ****** at myself. Lesson learned.

Country
    See aidenpatrick2009's Items on eBay

Well I had a stack of Ovechkin RCs I was looking to sell. My Captain at work decied he wanted to purchase some so I put them all in a bubble mailer and off to work I go. Had like 4 Victory, 3 Parkhurst, 2 Powerplay, and the Russian ERC of Ovechkin. Along with a Scoring Kings and Difference Makers jersey. So the BV was up there even though it was some low end stuff. So I get home from work and I "thought" I brough them in the house and put em on my desk. A week later the girlfriend cleans up the room and I cant find my envelope. I flip, get extremely mad, the whole "the desk is my space", "shouldnt have touched my cards" yadda yadda yadda. The girlfriend of course gets upset, starts crying, we make up blah blah blah. Well needless to say, 4 months later I have to call and apologize because I found the bubble mailer under the seat in my car when I was cleaning it.

Just goes to show, ya always need to look everywhere.

TJ

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vanspronsen's Items on eBay

I had a UD Premier Datsyuk rookie stored in a screwdown since the year it was released. A few years ago when I converted to one-touches, I went to release the card from the screwdown and...you know where this is going....the screw was in too tight and a significant portion of the surface of the card was stuck to the screwdown and lifted right off the card. Card was Gem until then.

I was sooo ****** at myself. Lesson learned.

uh oh should i check my cards that are in screwdowns?
    I Collect Niklas Kronwall

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See bmoy88's Items on eBay

Not my story, but one I was a witness to.

About 10-15 years ago, while at a card show, I was browsing a dealers table when he was approached by a client selling a Mario RC. I continued browsing but kept an eye on the deal going on. Well the deal was completed and the seller walked off. I watched as the dealer tried to take the card out of the solid holder. Not sure if it was a PSA/Beckett holder, but he was trying to pry it open with a screwdriver. Failing that, he bent the top portion of the holder on the table and I presume, tried to snap that. Well, the holder snapped, but right in the middle! At that, he looked around disgustedly to see that nobody was looking (I just ducked my head and continued to look at his cards to avoid him the embaressment) and just chucked the whole package into the trashcan without a scond look! Ouch!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ahhmygooch24's Items on eBay

I pulled an 08/09 Trilogy 1-2-3 Auto Card redemption of Kane , Toews and skille /10 and i dropped it in the snow in my driveway and it got plowed and its gone!!! i looked for days and nothing

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (32) HI
    Country

nothing dramatic like you guys but my biggest regret was saying i'd let an auction go b/c i felt i didn't need it at the time and thought the card was pretty plain. fast forward to present day and i still haven't found another copy of an 05-06 UD Lundqvist Rookie Threads Auto /10.

...and it's the last card i need to complete the entire 2005-06 Upper Deck Lundqvist MASTER set (not counting the 1/1's). heck, if you counted the four 1/1's i needed, i'd still only be 5 cards away.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

Not me but ouch

I was helping a friend of mine out in his comic store. This guy comes in with an ego so big that it was causing his head to swell so big he barely made it through the door.

Came in bragging about the 8-10 (don't recall) Gretzky rookies that he had that had (sharp corners, perfect edges, nice shine still... yada yada yada) I said it was hard to believe that he had that many "perfect" Gretzky RC's. He said I will go get them right now!!!

fast forward about 10 min. He comes back in almost crying. I ask what was wrong.

He had them in the trunk of his car.... and a can of oil tipped over and yes opened. Did you know that cardboard absorbs oil very very well. They where in screw downs but the oil went right in the side.

Looking at them I could tell that the condition wasn't quite what he made them out to be but they where very nice.... Before the oil.

I could have cried as well and the didn't belong to me.

Country

I left my mats sundin auto sp on my desk, went to answer the phone, came back card was gone, looked at my son who was 1 1/2 at the time he had a big smile on his face and was trying out some new teeth. now I have the highest top shelf in Ontario

SCF Rewards
    Country

Lol...these are great.....I unfortunately :) have a few to add....

1. I came to be in possession of a Gretzky jersey card from McDonalds in the late 90's....the card was numbered out of 150, and was something that McDonalds was giving out to redemption winners.....This thing was in a screwdown case that had to be about 1.5 inches thick.....So, i left it in there for about a year, and just looked at it almost everyday....Finally, I decided that i wanted to put a penny sleeve around it, and put it back in the holder again....Well, like the story above, I undo the holder, and go to move the card, and some of the surface of the card comes with it......I was devastated....I still ended up trading it for $200 in cards, but i always think what could have been....

2. I had a fairly nice OPC Patrick Roy rookie when i was younger......Went to the card shop one day, and noticed a new Eric Lindros card there.....Seventh Inning sketch promo card.....Well, at the time i was a HUGE Lindros fan.......So, that was about half the Roy.....I told the guy he needed to add something else......He pulls this beauty out of his showcase, and i almost die......lol....French Upper Deck Pat Falloon.....So, the deal was done....Roy for Lindros, and French Pat Falloon......still kick myself for that one....

3. When i first got back into collecting, I was going through my cards, to see what we had when i was really little........There, I found a beautiful Mark Messier OPC rookie card.....With the defining creases of being the "motor" on my peddle bike spokes.....

Who said c'est la vie?

I agree :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See fromtrashtotreasurechris's Items on eBay

not hockey but i amlost cried!! I opend a pack of 07 Leaf Limited Football ($100 pack) pulled a Sammy Baugh (deceased HOF'er) 2 color jersey #/33!! Got back to work and was showing it to a few of my co workers and the card fell out of the top loader and i didnt grab for it, but the card FELL RIGHT ON 1 CORNER!!! Put a tiny ding (thankfully) in the corner, I still got $100 for it so I was pleased, but at the time was SOO MAD at myself!!
    GREAT THREAD TOPIC btw!!

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast