Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See johnnygee's Items on eBay

Aside using most of my 80-81 o-pee-chee hockey cards as houses that my hot wheels would crash into or the knock downs we played using gretzky, and friends.

this story takes place just a few years ago, I am going through my cards in my "man cave" which had become an office also and junk was piled up. I am checking out cards, switch holders and doing this a bit too quick, my best card at the time bv 350 drops and dings a corner...what was the killer is that it all happened in slow motion almost as if I knew as my arm moved that i knew what would happen and then it did..augggggggggg.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @Andy417 COMC Cards For Sale

2. I had a fairly nice OPC Patrick Roy rookie when i was younger......Went to the card shop one day, and noticed a new Eric Lindros card there.....Seventh Inning sketch promo card.....Well, at the time i was a HUGE Lindros fan.......So, that was about half the Roy.....I told the guy he needed to add something else......He pulls this beauty out of his showcase, and i almost die......lol....French Upper Deck Pat Falloon.....So, the deal was done....Roy for Lindros, and French Pat Falloon......still kick myself for that one....

Great story! That is definately a nice kick in the teeth to look back upon. I remember back when Falloon was one of the playerss everybody wanted and I was so excited to pull his Pro Set RC, now I just shake my head. At least Lindros turned out alright

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tristanwolf's Items on eBay

about 12 years ago i was in college and in a pinch for cash. i was not into hockey so much as baseball so i decided to sell an old set my uncle had given me. i can't remember the year, from the 60's but it had stan mikita bobby hull, a few big names, maybe 150 cards. at the time bv was $1000. he offered me 3 or 4 hundred or so and i took it.

the problem---i distinctly rember the set was GEM. like EVERY card fresh as the day it was made. no idea if it was factory or collated or what, it was just wrapped in cellpohane and every card would have been at least psa 9 and probably some 10s. i don't even want to do the math on what it could have been but i had no idea what psa was at the time!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Man, this thread is going to make me switch out any screw-down holders I'm currently using!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @Andy417 COMC Cards For Sale

Man, this thread is going to make me switch out any screw-down holders I'm currently using!!

Get rid of them. When I started using holders I began with the screw-downs and have noticed cards slipping down between the plastic and on a few occassions scratching some cards including a Malkin RC (luckly OPC). One-touch magnetic holders is the way to go.

SCF Rewards
    Country

i had a couple of beers one night and decided to admire my spx flashback fabrics Gretzky auto. Well i am sure you can guess, i dropped the card which was in a 1 touch holder. I looked at it on the floor and the card was still in the holder but the top had come off. I examined the card only to see a ding in it where the top of holder had come off and originally landed on the card. Anyways i learned 2 things that night, the cards are off limits when having a few beers and i now tape all my holders closed

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Also loving this thread. There are quite a few doozies out there!

I know it was expressed in the initial post that it would be better if the stories pertained to yourself and not someone else, but I, too, must share the disappointment that someone other than myself endured.

I'll first say that I am relieved to discover that my current technique of just letting a card fall to the floor/ground naturally is the way to go. I haven't had any bad incidents where I crushed a card in an attempt to save it, and this has got to be why. For every card that slips, there's the chance it won't land in a puddle, or on a corner, so it's a stressful and quick risk that plays out in a second. Thankfully, I've only witnessed one card land HARD on its corner, and even after picking it back up and smoothening out the corner again, you couldn't tell at all that the card had been dropped. Super lucky! .... which is more than I can say for my poor dad...

Although WELL retired from his days as a collector, back in the 50's and early 60's, my dad had a few collections of things. He enjoyed collecting as a kid, but didn't limit himself to any specific sport or item (cards, coins, stamps, etc.). To this day, he still speaks of what made him stop his collecting altogether: two stories that I can understand still haunt him 30-40 years later!

1) Although more into hockey than baseball, my dad's baseball card collection was a true collection, whereas he can't recall ever having more than an odd hockey card here and there. His baseball card collection, although he can't remember the specific years, contained most of the top names in baseball of the day. Most notably, he remembers coveting a few Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, and Sandy Koufax cards above the others. The entire collection met a tragic ending one day when my grandmother (his mom) decided as he got older (still his teen years) that he didn't need them anymore, and ... threw out the entire box!! No thought, no consideration, just a blatant disrespect for my poor dad's things, and the entire box of cards containing many of baseball's greatest HOFers... in the trash!

As much as my grandma was a lovely, lovely lady who could have redifined generosity in her later years, I know that my dad ALWAYS had an issue with her touching his things however and whenever she pleased. Like in this next story, which he also can't seem to let go...

2) One day, back in the 60's, when these things still happened as such, my grandma was welcoming her daily delivery of milk from the milkman. On this particular day she was a few cents short, so she went back into the house to dig up the remaining change for the milkman. What she came out with to finalize the sale was.... my father's rare penny collection!

Bitterness ensued.

No wonder my dad was turned off of collecting in his later years! Based on what he's said, and the dates in consideration, there's a good chance a Mantle RC was in that lot... the PAIN!
    Last edited by ravens_creed; 12-21-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: correcting my own grammar/typos

SCF Rewards
    Country

Back in 05/06 with the Crosby hype at its highest, I shed €100 (about $140 or so) for a box of Upper Deck Ice. My best pull ended up being a Nicklas Lidström Rainbow parallel. Every time I get an itch to get a box or two I look back on that and boom, the box-breaking urge disappears.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See chains_fan's Items on eBay

1) Although more into hockey than baseball, my dad's baseball card collection was a true collection, whereas he can't recall ever having more than an odd hockey card here and there. His baseball card collection, although he can't remember the specific years, contained most of the top names in baseball of the day. Most notably, he remembers coveting a few Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, and Sandy Koufax cards above the others. The entire collection met a tragic ending one day when my grandmother (his mom) decided as he got older (still his teen years) that he didn't need them anymore, and ... threw out the entire box!! No thought, no consideration, just a blatant disrespect for my poor dad's things, and the entire box of cards containing many of baseball's greatest HOFers... in the trash!

2) One day, back in the 60's, when these things still happened as such, my grandma was welcoming her daily delivery of milk from the milkman. On this particular day she was a few cents short, so she went back into the house to dig up the remaining change for the milkman. What she came out with to finalize the sale was.... my father's rare penny collection!

Bitterness ensued.

No wonder my dad was turned off of collecting in his later years! Based on what he's said, and the dates in consideration, there's a good chance a Mantle RC was in that lot... the PAIN!

These stories make me cringe. I'm lucky that my dad is a collector as well...he understands that things have value.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Although it was a baseball card, recent news has had me thinking about my worst hobby purchase.

Some time shortly after McGwire hit his 62nd home run in the summer of '98 I bought his topps rookie card for $100. I think I sold it last year for $9.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast