ARTICLE: How to Create a Player Collection

By Kyle (Deadshot)

I have decided to make my next article on how to creat a player collection. A player collection is your own collection of one player (one player to start out with, some people collect more). Basically, you make it your goal to get as many cards of that one player (even base and inserts) as you can. I am going to try and break things down step by step on how I think a player collection should be formed. I made the guide to consist of 7 steps, but I'm sure a few more could be added here and there - I just made this as a general startup for anyone looking to collect a certain player. Here we go:

Step 1: Select a player

I would personally suggest selecting a player who ISN'T TMAC or KOBE, but if you do select them - more power to you (it will just be more of a struggle). If you select a player who is not as well known, you have a better chance of getting their better cards at an affordable price.

Step 2: Obtain a Checklist

Next, you should get a checklist of that one player. You can get one at beckett.com for free, and it does not take too much effort. If you do not want to get the list for yourself, there are several members here at SCF (including myself) that are willing to get the lists for a small cc charge. When you obtain one of these lists, you can now keep track of most cards for that player (some are not listed, mainly the ones numbered to less than 99).

Step 3: Create a tradelist for yourself

If you are going to be asking other members if they have cards of your player, it is almost necessary to have a tradelist for them to look at. That way, they have easy access to what you have, and they can make an offer.

Step 4: Make your Wants be Known

Now that you have your own tradelist, make it known to others what player you are collecting. A lot of traders are willing to give up base for free or for a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope). A lot of traders help others out like that, and it really boosts the moral and friendly atmosphere of the hobby.

Step 5 (optional): Use Ebay to Your Advantage

Oftentimes, if you look on ebay long enough, you can find a good deal. If your player is not a major star, then you can get GU and autos for fairly cheap on ebay. Its a lot cheaper than buying many packs and only hoping for your player.

Step 6: Set a Goal

By setting a goal for yourself, you have something to push for. Each time you reach your goal, make it higher (IE after you get 50 cards, make it 100, then 150, etc.).

Step 7: Have fun.

What's the point of collecting if not for fun? Lets face it, you probably won't be profiting monetarily from collecting a player, but it is still a fun thing to do. Personally, I enjoy receiving new cards of my player in the mail, even if they are cheap base and inserts.

This concludes my latest article. You don't have to follow these steps exactly, but they are a sample template to get you started. I hope I have assisted you in some way!