Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kylefanbsb1963's Items on eBay

....and at 52? comeon....I'm 52...and don't think I'd want to get in a ring and take a pounding....

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The problem was his contract ended that night, and they had already seen one title get thrown in the trash on WCW, they couldnt let it happen again, its a respect issue, on your way out you drop the title, it happens with everyone, however Bret seemed to think he was better than everyone else ever in the company....

As for WCW, I put blame on Nash/Hogan for everything, especially with the power they had, they could've used Bret the way he should of, but Bischoff didnt....plus Hogan/Nash were of course crying about Bret having a better contract...

As for this last "run" with WWE, maybe Bret has finally forgiven? I can't imagine him doing anything but a GM type role, especially after the stroke

1. No it didn't. He gave his 30 days notice on October 31st, so there were more than 3 weeks left after SS97 for Bret to drop the belt - Bischoff had said to him that he could take as much time as he needed to finish up his business with the WWF, going so far as to say that he could do it at the December 7th PPV in Springfield if they wanted to have him go out at a PPV. He could have dropped it at any point in November, which he would have done happily. At no point did the notion of him showing up on WCW with the WWF Title even cross anybody's mind. Bret has far too much respect for Vince and the business to do anything like that - to even compare him to Allundra Blaze is an insult.
    2. He would have dropped the belt to Steve Lombardi at Madison Square Garden if Vince wanted it - in 14 years in the WWF Bret had never refused to job to anybody, so your statement that "Bret seemed to think he was better than everyone else ever in the company" holds absolutely no water. He would have even put Shawn over on any other date in any other place.
    3. Bret's contract was not better than Hogan's. It was a very good contract, certainly a lot more than he was making with Vince, but it wasn't in Hogan's league. Back when Bret was a free agent following WM12, Bischoff asked Bret what it would take to get him to WCW, and Bret responded, "I would want the exact same deal as Hogan, plus one penny." He didn't get that deal, and even though the $2.8M (speculated) amount that Bret eventually did get was substantial, it wasn't Hogan money and he still had to work more dates than Hogan.

I haven't watched wrestling in a very long time, but I'm definitely excited to see what they'll do with Bret on this last run - as I said earlier, this is a chance for them to end Bret's story the way they should have all along.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

1. No it didn't. He gave his 30 days notice on October 31st, so there were more than 3 weeks left after SS97 for Bret to drop the belt - Bischoff had said to him that he could take as much time as he needed to finish up his business with the WWF, going so far as to say that he could do it at the December 7th PPV in Springfield if they wanted to have him go out at a PPV. He could have dropped it at any point in November, which he would have done happily. At no point did the notion of him showing up on WCW with the WWF Title even cross anybody's mind. Bret has far too much respect for Vince and the business to do anything like that - to even compare him to Allundra Blaze is an insult.
    2. He would have dropped the belt to Steve Lombardi at Madison Square Garden if Vince wanted it - in 14 years in the WWF Bret had never refused to job to anybody, so your statement that "Bret seemed to think he was better than everyone else ever in the company" holds absolutely no water. He would have even put Shawn over on any other date in any other place.
    3. Bret's contract was not better than Hogan's. It was a very good contract, certainly a lot more than he was making with Vince, but it wasn't in Hogan's league. Back when Bret was a free agent following WM12, Bischoff asked Bret what it would take to get him to WCW, and Bret responded, "I would want the exact same deal as Hogan, plus one penny." He didn't get that deal, and even though the $2.8M (speculated) amount that Bret eventually did get was substantial, it wasn't Hogan money and he still had to work more dates than Hogan.

I haven't watched wrestling in a very long time, but I'm definitely excited to see what they'll do with Bret on this last run - as I said earlier, this is a chance for them to end Bret's story the way they should have all along.

To respond to #1, wouldnt showing up at WCW the night after losing to Shawn (i think that happened, dont call me on it though) break his contract?

He did think he was better than everyone, he wouldnt lose in Canada, thats called being better than others, Shawn would lose in Texas....

And to respond to #3, Vince helped Bret get that contract, telling WCW he'd give him more money so they'd up the offer, Vince didnt mind Bret leaving the company, he did want Bret to drop the title on the way out though, and Bret refused to do it, its being selfish, regardless of where the PPV was at, its being selfish

A question though, how do you know he'd job to Shawn anywhere else? He absolutly despised Shawn and didnt even want to work with him to begin with..
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Bret was nowhere to be seen on 11/10, and didn't make his WCW debut until December 15th where they set him up to enforce the Sting/Hogan match. Bischoff and the nWo did come out and sing "O Canada" (horribly) as a way to introduce him.

Regarding jobbing to Michaels, he acknowledges that he would have done it anywhere but Montreal in the book. Dave Meltzer's authoritative and pretty much universally accepted account of the screwjob has a couple mentions of Bret being willing to job to Shawn:

September 22, 1997:....During the meeting, Hart told Michaels that he'd be happy to put him over at the end of the run, but Michaels told Hart flat out that he wouldn't return the favor to him. Michaels and Hart spoke again on the subject on 10/12 in San Jose, when once again Michaels told Hart that he wasn't going to do a job for him.

November 2, 1997: Hart again refused to do the job in Montreal, saying that he had never refused to do a job but he wasn't going to lose on Sunday or Monday (at Raw in Ottawa). He agreed to put Michaels over in Madison Square Garden on 11/15, Springfield or anywhere else and said he'd put over Vader, Shamrock, Mankind, Undertaker or even Steve Lombardi.
    --OK yeah he said he wouldn't job in Canada at this point, but it's not as if he pulled out what Shawn said back on 9/22/97 where HBK said he wouldn't job to anybody.

But here's a big kicker, also from the 2nd:
    The two argued about the finish in Montreal and the legalities of their respective positions all day Sunday and well into the night before finally agreeing to do a DQ finish in Montreal. Then in Springfield, in the final four match, Michaels would win the title. Bret would then go out on Raw on 12/8 in Portland, Me. and give a farewell interview as a babyface to the WWF fans and put the company and McMahon over as big as possible. He would apologize to the American fans and try to reasonably explain his actions in a way to end his 14-year association with the WWF on the highest note possible, something largely unheard of in pro wrestling, so that all parties and the fans could come out if it and his legacy with the company with a good feeling. Technically there was a problem, in that his WCW contract began on 12/1 so Hart called Bischoff, who when presented the scenario, agreed to allow him to work through 12/8 with Titan.

The story about the finish changed on an almost-daily basis, almost exclusively from Vince's point, and at one stage he even set the table for Shawn to lose clean in Montreal and then win the title in Springfield.

It gets pretty subjective when you call Bret's motives "selfish" - I would argue that he was acting in a "self-interested" fashion but he was also trying to help Vince out with the situation. Like I said earlier, there was absolutely zero possibility of him showing up on Nitro with the belt. The contract that he had with Vince gave him that "reasonable creative control" clause, which is, again, highly subjective. Obviously he wanted to protect himself on the way out so that he wasn't damaged goods en route to WCW, but he wasn't going to do anything that would have hurt Vince's ability to do business in the future. All the talk about the "time-honoured tradition" very easily could have been fulfilled over the course of that last 30 days. Bret made a stand on the point of not losing in Montreal, and IMO (and that of millions of others) that's a stand he was entitled to make given the nature of his contract, his long-standing relationship with Vince, and the circumstances surrounding Shawn at the time.

But that was all in 1997. A long time ago in another era.

I'm excited to see what The Hitman will do in 2010.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country

Funny enough, I read Shawn's book and was almost the opposite of Brets book, obviously the two hate each other. no arguments on that

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country

also, watch this and listen in the begining to Bret himself

SCF Rewards
    Country

so i figured out the ending to the wrestlemania match with taker and HBK. Bret screws Shawn.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

It would definitely be the ultimate payback in that scenario, but I've got a feeling they're going to do a program with Vince as the primary spotlight. That said, it's not as if he's only allowed to do one thing on any given night.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (3)
    Country

Possibly he is coming in to help with putting over the Hart Dynasty tag team.
    Being the elder statesman of the Hart family now, it would make sense for him to have an interest in how they are used.
    just my 2 cents worth

SCF Rewards
    Country

Come January 4, 2010.... it should be awesome to see what happens from there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast