Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COA Fake or Legitimate

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See qball0730's Items on eBay

COA Fake or Legitimate

I heard from someone that I pre order cards through to stay away from COA's because there 90% fake. In other words if the auto doesn't include a picture of them actually signing it, theres a chance that someone just printed up a COA and attached it to the auto. In your guys opinion is this true or is my source just misinformed!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kingpinlc's Items on eBay

QBall76... while it's true that anyone with a printer can create a COA for something, it's also true that people can make as many copies of a photo of someone signing something as they want to. There are very few ways to make sure that your autograph is real. Companies like Steiner Sports, Mounted Memories and the like are 100% guaranteed authentic. When you own an autograph certified by one of those companies, it's worth more because you don't need to even think about the validity of your autograph, it's real.

PSA/DNA will authenticate at shows, and verify that many items are real. They're very reliable, and if you're in doubt, you might try to have them authenticate an item for you, but it's not cheap.

Then there's the only other way, 100% guaranteed authentic, but good luck proving it if you want to sell the item... get the autograph yourself, in person. If you're a fan, and aren't looking to sell, this is the best thing. Get that autograph in person... meet the person... it's an experience.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Re: COA Fake or Legitimate

Originally posted by Qball76
    I heard from someone that I pre order cards through to stay away from COA's because there 90% fake. In other words if the auto doesn't include a picture of them actually signing it, theres a chance that someone just printed up a COA and attached it to the auto. In your guys opinion is this true or is my source just misinformed!!!

I would never trust a COA. Whenever I buy autographs it is from shops where I know the people or get the item signed by the person so that I know it is not fake.

FineBrian69
    I agree with kingpin, every item in my collection comes from Steiner, Upper Deck, Total Sports Concepts or another very reputable company. You save yourself the worries when you buy from one of the big boys. It may cost a little more but it's MORE than worth it.

SCF Rewards
    See mantleman777's Items on eBay

it doesnt matter who u buy from i thought bj collectables was reputable and bought a mantle auto ball 2 years later find out they r in trouble for faking autos upper deck auth is the only legit comp imo big cash though

i only buy certifed autos and 8x10s or i can't them in person,.:explode: :321:

Country

The problem with any photos of player s signing is that they can be copied by anyone also. The only autos I have are from ME being there and recieving them directly from the player. I could easily take any one of my autos, copy the photo, and sign the ball or whatever myself, sell it at a profit because the only cost I'd have would be the material the auto is on. (I would never do this) but the thinking behind it is not to hard. Even if you are offered the Photo of the player signing the auto may be a fake . GET THE AUTO YOURSELF. Besides... What the fun of having an auto if you did'nt meet the peson yourself to get it?

ALSO.... yes, there are alot of companies that are reputable, but why pay thier astronomical prices? just to be sure?? Get the auto yourself.

CSlax3
    good point.. i like my qutographs by getting them by myself..i dont have to many like that but i do have a chris mullan if thats worth a dime or 2

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kingpinlc's Items on eBay

CSlax3... Chris Mullen's auto is still worth something. Check out Tuff Stuff's autograph price guide...

While yes, the only 100% sure way to get a real autograph is by getting it yourself, many autographs are unattainable to the average collector. Upper Deck, Steiner Sports, Mounted Memories, and a few select others were noted by the FBI as being legitimate, authentic, sports memorabilia & autograph sellers. Plus, these companies guarantee, money back, that your autographs are real. I trust them... but it's up to you to decide for yourself. Joe Schmo's collectibles COA is worthless to me though.

FineBrian69
    Yeah, I enjoy getting auto's first hand too. Most that I own though are either certified auto cards or pieces from Steiner Sports. I lived most of my life in Mobile, AL, and outside of the Senior Bowl every year you rarely had the chance to get auto's from big name athletes. If you're looking for deals on Steiner memorabilia check out eBay. I sure as hell wouldn't buy from their website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast