Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pack Searchers

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

Why not blame the card manufacturers for enabling this retail pack searching? They created the problem by moving the sales from hobby stores to the big retailers (meijers, target, walmart etc). 10-15 years ago, Hobby shops were a lot more prevalent than they were today. The reason is manufacturers saw it cheaper to release their product to the retailers, who dont care if people finger the packs or weigh them; all they care is moving mass volume at a mark-up.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Phreelancr's Items on eBay

Me being a somewhat superstitious man and 3 being a lucky number for me, I've always taken packs 3rd from the top. It doesn't always work out but I've done it that way for years.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Jodyy85's Items on eBay

Panini for the most part has started putting dummy cards in most packs that I have opened

SCF Rewards
    Country

themanishere - where have the kids learned it from? Most likely adults...it's the "monkey see, monkey do" mentality...not saying that kids wouldn't have found it out on their own, but chances are, 99% of kids who do it have either A) seen someone else doing it, or B) read about someone else doing it...and 9 times out of 10, that someone else would be an adult...no, I don't have facts to back this up, but this is my feeling.

Very scientific I see J/k

Its also funny that a lot of people say, "kids are growing up earlier and earlier these days" while at the same time they say, "they don't know better." Its a contradiction.

Its as if people think "kids" don't make any conscious choices at all - sure, they don't have the "life experience" or whatever, but at the same time they aren't blank sheets.

The blame is circular, not causal (except in regards to manufacturers). People search because manufacturers have made it easy. Manufacturers made it easy because of the money. Then there is the given nature of self-interest, which applies to everyone and not just collectors.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics
    COMC Cards For Sale

i always take packs at the middle or towards the top. i also get a couple packs and see if they feel lighter or heavier, never works for me

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See heclo's Items on eBay

i dont pack search, and i also dont care if it ruins the hobby for kids, i couldnt care less if little johnny doesnt get a hit in his retail pack, ill start worrying about him when food stops showing up on his table, something serious,

i see it as the less ''hits'' in retail the more you appreciate the base/inserts...

and if little johnny really wants a hit he can take the three dollars he wouldve used to buy a retail pack and buy a few game used from an ebay seller with free shipping

so basically ill worry about the kids when its actually somthing to worry about...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

I have been in this hobby well over 20 years now and pack seachers have existed since the beginning of this hobby! In fact to the point wher i busted one when you did not hide his wax pack sealer rig! Moving on. Manufactures are doing all they can IMHO. I for one will not buy packs from Walmart or Target for just this reason. However, new laws have been passed that make this act a crime! I read a story some time ago of a Pack searcher getting caught and be required to buy all the packs he searched! to the tune of 800 bucks, either that or be arrest for theft!

We will always have this issue. The only way to make searching harder is to make every pack the same in weight and thinkness. But they they will find new ways to steal those cards!

Country

I agree, and i do always pick from bottom or middle usually, and the guys are fine with it

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rlynch5ixp's Items on eBay

hot packs are resealed or the foil packaging is remade on the black market (or made in a cheaper producing nation)

i did a research project on this where i bougth 5 hot packs and 5 original packs and found the hot packs wrapping to be made by other sources. another evidence is the hot packs I got, the cards came out in order of #.

Thats your research???? The packs are not resealed. The packaging is not remade on the "black market" LOL. Different retailers have different packaging. Target uses a recycled material, Wal-Mart has Tin Packs, Hobby packs are also a different material. Buy a pack at Wal-mart and one at target. you will see that they are different............research?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Jodyy85's Items on eBay

titantron is 100% right about his statement a have never heard of a black market for wrappers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast