Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scared of COAs

SCF Rewards
    Country

GAI is the worst. I would also stay away from PSA/DNA, JSA or any company that only gives their opinion if the item is authentic.

just because you have a hologram with a number and a website to check doesnt mean its authentic

True. That said it is not like you can get an IP auto of Bob Lemon anymore. If you wanted a Bob Lemon(just an example) signed ball you're best bet is a PSA/DNA or JSA certed one. Are those companies infallible? No not even close. That is why you need to really do your homework and get an idea what you are looking at. Between the reputable 3rd parties and doing your homework you have your best shot at getting something like a Bob Lemon ball that is authentic.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 863_Slice's Items on eBay

This is all really helpful, thanks guys

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See SFD903's Items on eBay

GAI is the worst. I would also stay away from PSA/DNA, JSA or any company that only gives their opinion if the item is authentic.

just because you have a hologram with a number and a website to check doesnt mean its authentic

What? PSA/DNA holds their own autograph session where the athlete signs (witnessed) and the item is authenticated right there... just like tristar etc...

So you hold a PSA/DNA auth with the same weight at as "Joes Authentication"???

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See skinsfan20's Items on eBay

I haven't heard of any PSA/DNA signings where they do that. Do you have examples of those shows? Not trying to argue, but I've never heard of one and I'd be interested to know if they do their own signings.

That being said, I would buy a PSA/DNA autograph of a deceased person and only after a lot of my own research. I agree that I really only trust the companies who have signings and witness autographs. GAI, JSA, PSA/DNA, etc... they give you their opinion on authenticity of something that they didn't see signed. So no matter what, there's a huge margin of error there.

SCF Rewards
    Country

What? PSA/DNA holds their own autograph session where the athlete signs (witnessed) and the item is authenticated right there... just like tristar etc...

So you hold a PSA/DNA auth with the same weight at as "Joes Authentication"???

I know PSA/DNA and JSA are sometimes at signings where they authenticate an item. I have also seen where someone took fake items of athletes that were present into one of these signings and they authenticated the item because they assumed it was signed there.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See SFD903's Items on eBay

I haven't heard of any PSA/DNA signings where they do that. Do you have examples of those shows? Not trying to argue, but I've never heard of one and I'd be interested to know if they do their own signings.

That being said, I would buy a PSA/DNA autograph of a deceased person and only after a lot of my own research. I agree that I really only trust the companies who have signings and witness autographs. GAI, JSA, PSA/DNA, etc... they give you their opinion on authenticity of something that they didn't see signed. So no matter what, there's a huge margin of error there.

I understand, Im not trying to argue either... and I understand 100% about what you guys are saying about PSA/DNA basically saying "yes, thats real pen and it appears that Babe Ruth signed the ball". BUT, Now -a- days where TTM and IP autographs are becoming harder to obtain (IMO), there needs to be some line drawn as to who we can trust and who we cannot trust. With so many fake autographs and rip-off COA's, I think that PSA/DNA etc... are companies that deserve some sort of credibility as opposed to a guy named Joe printing a COA off of a computer at his house.

Heres a link for shows that PSA/DNA will be at witnessing and authenticating autographs:

http://www.psadna.com/shows/do_searc...3&uname=psadna

SCF Rewards
    Country

From a resale point of view, PSA, JSA, etc are the way to go. Does it mean the autograph is 100% authentic? No. I have received autos in person and had them fail PSA certifications. Because, in their "professional opinion", the pen pressure, slant, and all the other generic terminology they use did not meet their requirements to deem the autograph authentic.
    Human error is always a possibility when examining these balls and until there is a objective way of determing autograph authenticity, which there will never be. COAs/LOA will continue to be issued based on subjective examination.
    Bottom line, if you did not see the individual signing it, there is always a chance and in many cases a good chance the autograph is fake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12