Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. This poll is closed
  • 0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have had a few problems with card identification from PSA along with grading that I was not entirely in agreement with (I know it is somewhat subjective). As an example, I purchased a 1993 Finest Refractor PSA9 years ago to only realize it was not the refractor but rather the non-refractor version. PSA had clearly labeled it as a refractor. The case had not been tampered with and PSA did correct the error after I brought it to their attention. I have owned some PSA cards with really bad centering that were given 9's which I did not agree with.

As for BGS, I have been very happy with them so far. I have not had experienced any incorrectly identified cards and for the most part, been in agreement with their grading. Their cases are top-notch and are pretty much bullet-proof. There is absolutely no way to tamper with the case without destroying it since it is ultrasonically welded; whereas PSA seems to be a snap-type case.

Just based on my experience with both graders, BGS is my choice. Hope this helps!!!

BGS easily has the best case. Their slab also offers some UV protection, something that none of the other companies offers.

PSA's case is sonically welded as well but their slab is made of weaker plastic.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I use PSA for vintage cards. They have an online set registry that is hands down the best. A great way to show off your cards and see where your collection stands next to other similar collections. In my case, 1963 Topps.

I prefer BGS for the newer cards. No particular reason. I think they look nicer in the cases.

Overall BGS has a more durable case in my opinion. Cards do not slide around in BGS cases the way they tend to slide around in PSA cards.

The only thing I can say for SGC is that I saw them at a Philly card show and like their no nonsense fees. Straight 10 dollars a card and more or less on the spot grading. Good if you are looking to get a card graded quickly. Furthermore, I have had SGC graded cards crossed over to both BGS and PSA and in both instances were lowered 1/2 grade.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I have to agree with the popular consensus on this board. PSA for anything up to the 1980s and BGS for anything beyond. The whole "sheet cut grading" decision on the part of BGS killed them in the vintage market.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pootshwan's Items on eBay

SGC: Pre War
    PSA: Vintage-1980's
    BGS: 1980's-Modern

Good to know. Thanks

What do you mean by this?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

BGS will grade sheet-cut cards. Whether you like it or not, there is not much of a market for these cards.

A sheet cut card is exactly that. Some dealers/collectors purchase uncut sheets of vintage cards, (i.e. 1985 Topps baseball). Then, they cut the cards from these sheets. Obviously, every card is either BGS 9.5 or BGS 10.

This has struck a raw nerve with a lot of vintage collectors who feel that because the cards did not come out of an actual pack, it decreases their authenticity.

I'm not saying that sheet-cut cards are fake, rather they are manufactured to look ideal.

Just my opinion and for the record, I have more BGS cards than PSA .... alot more so there's no bias here .... just stating what a lot of people already know.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (7)
    Country
    See cnote95s's Items on eBay

SGC: Pre War
    PSA: Vintage-1980's
    BGS: 1980's-Modern

That is where they hold the most value and that is each ones niche. It is debatable whether or not PSA is the best vintage grader or whether they have the best registry.

BGS easily has the best case. Their slab also offers some UV protection, something that none of the other companies offers.

PSA's case is sonically welded as well but their slab is made of weaker plastic.

BGS's case beats them all. PSA and BGS both sonically seal their cases however PSA can still be tampered with, point WIWAG. BGS cases are impossible to tamper with without leave clear marks of tampering. PSA's case just leaves me with an unsettling feeling because the cards DO move and CAN (and have been) damaged because of the case.

PS I think I remember your Emmitt collection from the old BMB.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (7)
    Country

BGS will grade sheet-cut cards. Whether you like it or not, there is not much of a market for these cards.

A sheet cut card is exactly that. Some dealers/collectors purchase uncut sheets of vintage cards, (i.e. 1985 Topps baseball). Then, they cut the cards from these sheets. Obviously, every card is either BGS 9.5 or BGS 10.

This has struck a raw nerve with a lot of vintage collectors who feel that because the cards did not come out of an actual pack, it decreases their authenticity.

I'm not saying that sheet-cut cards are fake, rather they are manufactured to look ideal.

Just my opinion and for the record, I have more BGS cards than PSA .... alot more so there's no bias here .... just stating what a lot of people already know.

This is 100% correct. This is why BVG sale prices < PSA vintage sale prices.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (7)
    Country

I use PSA for vintage cards. They have an online set registry that is hands down the best. A great way to show off your cards and see where your collection stands next to other similar collections. In my case, 1963 Topps.

I prefer BGS for the newer cards. No particular reason. I think they look nicer in the cases.

Overall BGS has a more durable case in my opinion. Cards do not slide around in BGS cases the way they tend to slide around in PSA cards.

The only thing I can say for SGC is that I saw them at a Philly card show and like their no nonsense fees. Straight 10 dollars a card and more or less on the spot grading. Good if you are looking to get a card graded quickly. Furthermore, I have had SGC graded cards crossed over to both BGS and PSA and in both instances were lowered 1/2 grade.

I have had SGC cards go up in grade when sent to BGS and some go down. Same with PSA

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is where they hold the most value and that is each ones niche. It is debatable whether or not PSA is the best vintage grader or whether they have the best registry.

BGS's case beats them all. PSA and BGS both sonically seal their cases however PSA can still be tampered with, point WIWAG. BGS cases are impossible to tamper with without leave clear marks of tampering. PSA's case just leaves me with an unsettling feeling because the cards DO move and CAN (and have been) damaged because of the case.

PS I think I remember your Emmitt collection from the old BMB.

So true, for that reason I avoid 10's for modern stuff and 9's and better for older stuff. Even the collectors that only support PSA have issues w/ their slabs due to the tampering and holder damage issues.

Yep that's me.

SCF Rewards
    Country

PSA and SGC have holders that can be tampered with, while BGS's are bulletproof from scammers. I prefer the BGS holder, but all 3 companies have their strong areas in the grading hobby for different reasons. I have no problem with having stuff from all 3 in my collection. I can't rate one over the other, since it all depends on specifically what card you are having graded. My preferences go like this; Beckett for modern. PSA and SGC for vintage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast