Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards

Does buying boxes worth it?

Coming back to the collecting world for a couple month I started to wonder if it's worth it to buy unopen boxes anymore. My first two purchases of unopen boxes were 04 Legendary Cuts and 05 Sweet Spot. I paid around $90 for each boxes plus shipping. They are indeed beautiful cards. From those boxes, I ended up with 3 GU from each box, which is about average. Looking at the eBay for price, I could get at most $12 bucks for 3 GUs. As for the base cards, they are virtually worthless in the secondary market. So this weekend when I went on eBay to buy boxes again, I decided on another approach. I bid on multiple 04 Legendary Cuts Auto's and up winning 5 of them for around $25 bucks each. So I end up spending $125 for 5 cards that suppose to only come 1 per case. If I was to buy unopen boxes and want to end up with 5 Auto's I will need to buy 5 cases. That's about $7,500 total. I know there are hand full of cards that could potentially go for big bucks, but the odds are so bad I probably could win the lottery before I pull one of those Mantle auto or something.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is why would anyone buy unopen boxes for such a high price? If one wants to build a set, just get on eBay and buy them at fraction of book price. If one needs Auto, it's alot cheaper to buy it instead trying to get lucky. Am I correct in this?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (89)
    Country
    Cincinnati Bengals New York Rangers NULL

I used to buy packs and boxes. With the money I spent on them, I could have saved a lot of time, trouble, and space getting only the cards I wanted instead of playing pack lottery.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mangonz312's Items on eBay

from a money stand point, it really is a gamble and you likely wont make your money back with most boxes, but i personally love to bust boxes and it is basically what keeps me in the hobby, nothing is funner to me, sure i could have one nice player collection with all the money i have spent if i saved and bought singles, but im still in this hobby for the fun of it and have yet to get into the money making/losing side of it, and as long as im having as much fun at the age of 20 then when i was when i was 5, its all good to me

another thing is, buying singles is nice but i feel like i have to give myself the chance to pull that one in a lifetime card, it may have something to do with my gambling addiction but isnt it gonna feel good when i pull my first jordan auto (hopefully)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Gooner_Singe's Items on eBay

buying singles leaves a...unsatifying feeling, unfortunately i have not many more options, packs and boxes i thin give the thrill of you never know what your going to get... Ive just never had the right boxes

SCF Rewards
    See Garmart11's Items on eBay

It's all about the thrill of the box break for me. I don't look at it on the BV side. Never knowing is far more exciting than bidding.

Ya man I only open the boxes to see what I get then basically the cards just collect dust in my room.

SCF Rewards
    See jokerneedscards's Items on eBay

I buy boxes of things that I'm not trying to collect from. Like, I'm trying to get the full set of AK-47 autos from 04-05 Sweet Spot, but I won't buy any of that product in hopes of busting one, I'll just buy the singles. I save my box-buying cash for things that would make good selling or trade bait, like SP Authentic.

Blog Entries
    Country
    See SingleDaddyof2's Items on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by -mando-
    i personally love to bust boxes and it is basically what keeps me in the hobby, nothing is funner to me

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner_Singe
    buying singles leaves a...unsatifying feeling

Quote Originally Posted by GarMart
    It's all about the thrill of the box break for me. I don't look at it on the BV side. Never knowing is far more exciting than bidding.

You guys said it, lol. I agree 110%. Its for the FUN of it. :new_monal

SCF Rewards
    See mac_718's Items on eBay

If your a collector of box sets then yes its worth it. I collect ALL the Topps since 1991 (my birthday)and none of them are open.

SCF Rewards
    Country

they are good to buy, because you may not really care who you get as long as their half way decint, and its the thrill of what am i going to get in this pack.

matt