Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

#7 Overall Pick Mark Scheifele

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (73)
    Country
    Twitter: @@sholi2000 See sholi2000's Items on eBay

I like this Pick.....

People are complaining about a pick that is still developing. Before you say he was a terrible pick, let me remind you of something.

Carey Price was drafted #5. The Habs world went nuts demanding everyone in management be fired.

Now Price is one of the Best Goalies on the Planet!

SO I look at this young man and say. Oh my He could be good, look at his numbers right now, and see the potential.

Just because someone says that so and so is # ____ doesn't mean anything. And there are thousands of picks to back that up.

There are worse problems than the draft picks. Management has a ton of work to do to make this team a playoff team.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

sholi2000 ,
    What you say is spot on. I always tell folks to wait several years to make judgement on any draft pick or trade that happens. Some will pay immediate dividends while others will take years to reap benefits.

DON

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

You guys are right, you do need to wait a few years to know if a pick will pan out or not. Aside from maybe 1-to-3 players, none of this year's draft class will have an impact next season. Nobody should really expect much from many of these prospects (at an NHL level) until 2013-14, at the earliest.

What people should be questioning, is why they would pick this player with the #7 pick. When you consider that no ranking system anywhere had him inside the top 20, the Jets really reached on this one.

If this is the guy they wanted with their first round draft pick, who are any of us to question it? I just can't believe that there wasn't an opportunity to move down a few spots, and add another asset in the process.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You guys are right, you do need to wait a few years to know if a pick will pan out or not. Aside from maybe 1-to-3 players, none of this year's draft class will have an impact next season. Nobody should really expect much from many of these prospects (at an NHL level) until 2013-14, at the earliest.

What people should be questioning, is why they would pick this player with the #7 pick. When you consider that no ranking system anywhere had him inside the top 20, the Jets really reached on this one.

If this is the guy they wanted with their first round draft pick, who are any of us to question it? I just can't believe that there wasn't an opportunity to move down a few spots, and add another asset in the process.

i do beleive he will be a great player, and he is on the rise
    he is on the rise more so than anyone.

but i would have liked it if, winnipeg had of traded their 7th for like a 2nd liner and 12thth overall, and picked him up then

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (13)
    Country

He played Jr. B because he had a full ride to the states, changed his mind and joined Barrie. As a rookie in the O he dominated, I skate with him occassionally in the summer and my best friend plays with him in Barrie. He is the real deal, just wait to see what he does with a year under his belt on an improved Barrie squad. Why would you want Coutourier he's going the other direction, has Angelo Esposito written all over him.

Mike

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (13)
    Country

Also you never know if he would still be there later in the draft that is a risky play, if you have a feeling for a guy take him.

SCF Rewards
    Country

NHL ready draft picks are few and far between. They are still kids and they have a lot of development physically as well as skillz left to go.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (73)
    Country
    Twitter: @@sholi2000 See sholi2000's Items on eBay

Also you never know if he would still be there later in the draft that is a risky play, if you have a feeling for a guy take him.

That could be it. Their scouts said that he woun't make it past 20 so what do you do? I TELL YA, you draft him where ever.
    Now if he was projected to go into the laters rounds then may be they could have chanced it, or they may of heard rubblings about other teams wanting him. He did see 26 of 30 teams.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I just can't believe that there wasn't an opportunity to move down a few spots, and add another asset in the process.

In recent memory of a kid moving up would be Blake Wheeler. As he was not even on the radar of anyone but Wayne. He took him high and the high school kid was ready to be a dominate force in the NHL after being groomed for a few years. He overreached and it was one of Gretzky best move along with his scouts in that draft in Columbus.

As others have said if you moved down would he be there and then you end up kicking yourself.

DON