Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I don't deny that there is much corruption on both sides of the aisle, but my comment in this particular instance is correct, and you know it.

Can you post your sources that make your statement correct? making even an educated assumption and claiming to be correct is a quite different.

and even if they did vote Dem, what leap are you trying to make? all dems are cheats? all dems are corrupt?

SCF Rewards
    Country

If the overwhelming majority of the people were from the same party, you don't think that it would make you suspect of a pattern of behavior within that party's educator/politicians?

Do you really think a normal school teacher is that connected to a political party? What real pull or connection do they have? If myself and my neighbor vote for the same person in an election that really doesn't do much justice in comparing us as people or our ideals. Defining these cheaters as Ds or Rs is pointless in my opinion. They are cheaters and should be fired in my opinion regardless of how they voted.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm saying that I couldn't give a crap. I'm smart enough to know that corruption knows no party lines. I want people out of office who are abusing their power, no matter their affiliation. Just because John Edwards is a Democrat who cheated on his wife doesn't mean that I, as a Democrat, would do the same thing if I were to run for office.

good point. Besides, what type of pull or influence do you think a school teacher has within a political party?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country
    See AUTaxMan's Items on eBay

Do you really think a normal school teacher is that connected to a political party? What real pull or connection do they have? If myself and my neighbor vote for the same person in an election that really doesn't do much justice in comparing us as people or our ideals. Defining these cheaters as Ds or Rs is pointless in my opinion. They are cheaters and should be fired in my opinion regardless of how they voted.

Not talking about the teachers.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is not a party issue, it's a corruption issue. It also helps highlight some of the issues in our education system, namely our dependence on standardized testing.

Exactly, success can't be measured based on the results of one test. How foolish is it to think that a whole year of learning and growth can me summed up in multiple choice test? The test ignores the fact that students learn differently and progress at different rates as they mature.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is not a party issue, it's a corruption issue. It also helps highlight some of the issues in our education system, namely our dependence on standardized testing.

exactly.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country

Exactly, success can't be measured based on the results of one test. How foolish is it to think that a whole year of learning and growth can me summed up in multiple choice test? The test ignores the fact that students learn differently and progress at different rates as they mature.

Totally agree with this. I also just learned yesterday that if a kid is flagged with a special condition such as LD or ADD, the kid cannot be failed under federal law. Doesn't matter if the kid has no interest in learning or is just not very intelligent.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Totally agree with this. I also just learned yesterday that if a kid is flagged with a special condition such as LD or ADD, the kid cannot be failed under federal law. Doesn't matter if the kid has no interest in learning or is just not very intelligent.

Interesting. Could you please provide a link to such?
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country

Interesting. Could you please provide a link to such?

I haven't looked it up. Was told that by two elementary ed teachers.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I haven't looked it up. Was told that by two elementary ed teachers.

You were mislead. My wife is an elementary principal and I can tell you that the final grade/score is not impacted by special needs status. Special needs are accomodated but the same info is tested and it is scored the same.

I know for a fact that the special ed cells are grouped into the overall school data from state standardized test. The special ed areas are expected to show growth just like the non-special ed areas.

My guess is that what you were told was a blend of other laws. I know that here in WV it is nearly impossible to expel a kid from school with a specialized education plan, but they still get whatever score they get on their work and can be failed for the year. Having ADHD or anger management issues doesn't get them a free pass on standardized testing.

------------------------------------------------------------

I should also add that IMO the displeasure with standardized test stems from people's inability to properly use the data. Instead of being seen as just a way to test the children the data should be used to measure the effectiveness of the teacher and figure out what areas need to be more closely addressed in the classroom. A good teacher will regularly use formative assessment to measure where the students are and to re-teach weak areas. The final standardized test gives a teacher and principal a chance to eveolve a better long-term plan. Unfortunatelly most educators miss this aspect and just see the test as a way to "get them".
    Last edited by duane1969; 07-07-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast