Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1K Boxes- Thoughts

SCF Rewards
    Country

$1K Boxes- Thoughts

So I am a big fan of collecting autos and am the proud owner of a B.A. in History. Ever since I came across the 2008 Signs of History cut set about a year back I have been searching for historic cut autos(within reason-some of these things go for crazy money).

I have spent some decent money on individual cuts of several presidents but each time KNEW what I was bidding on/purchasing.

This week has seen the release of two products-

Famous Fabrics 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
    http://www.dacardworld.com/entertain...e-nw-hobby-box

2012 Leaf Oval Office
    http://www.dacardworld.com/entertain...ture-hobby-box

Both products sell on various sites for $1,200-1,500. Each contains 1 presidential cut(f.f. does contain 4 "base" cards and a second cut of a VP, cabinent member, or other topic related to the white house). Over $1,000 dollars for an unknown president. As somebody interested in this hobby niche I just cannot comprehend spending that much on such an unknown.

I'm curious what other autograph seekers/collectors think of these astronomically high end products. I am also wondering if you did purchase one of these what presidents could you pull that would make you say "Wow I stole this card for that price!"

SCF Rewards
    Country

The Lincoln would be nice.........

SCF Rewards
    Country

Some of these have started to hit the bay.

Item 220962363477 is a bit strange though. Its a Hayes cut with both his year of birth and year of death....kind of odd context for an auto.

Anyway, if I shelled out that much cash I think anything less of a super cool dual cut, Lincoln, Washington, or Jefferson would be a complete disappointment.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Crazy prices to me and in the series that pushes duals only goes back to Adams, so no shot at Washington at all! What is with the presidential pets inserts? I would just be thrilled to spend $1500 to get a card of a dog!
    Hidden Content ~ best SCF feature ever!
    Go Mets, Colts, Reds and The Ohio State University
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah, I find the base cards in f.f. to be pretty odd as well. For that money its clear the cuts are the goal and the fact those funny base cards are slabbed just looks really odd.

That said, I think the second cut makes f.f. a bit more attractive(if possible at that price). There are a ton of weak second cuts but some strong ones that could really help in getting a return if you get a low-end president.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See aspoe093's Items on eBay

My thing would be how do they know all of them are authentic? I would be worried about that and only a few of the Prez's sigs would be valued over $1000. I would love a Lincoln, Jackson, Madison for sure though

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    New York Yankees New York Rangers New York Giants
    Twitter: @@ChrisWGamble

I'm a huge history buff working on my Masters. I can understand your collecting niche but there is no way I would shell out that kind of money for a box of anything. Those prices are nuts.
    I collect NY Yankees, NY Giants, NY Rangers, NY Knicks, and NJ Nets. I am willing to trade. PM me if you have any cards signed by players from these teams.

Working on collecting all living New York Giants (football) and New York Yankees. The question is which team drives me nuts first!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm a huge history buff working on my Masters. I can understand your collecting niche but there is no way I would shell out that kind of money for a box of anything. Those prices are nuts.

Its unbelievable and to see the pulls guys are getting....ouch. What presidential cuts I do have(4) I've purchased on the cheap and knew exactly what they were- not some shot in the dark. I paid for 3 of my cuts what 1 of these boxes run.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I looked into presidential autographs a while back and there are some autographs that would be a steal at that price. First of all cuts are less valuable that an autographed manuscript or document but there are a few presidential auto that are worth some money.

George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson & Abraham Lincoln for obvious historical importance could fetch more that $1K.

Lesser known presidents that are sought after:

William Henry Harrison - Only spent one month in office so only a few documents where signed by him as president, so more than likely his will not be in the box. But if you do get your hands on one I saw they could go for greater than $100K.

Zachery Taylor - Only served 2 years before his death, could possibly get your money back on his auto.

John Tyler - Died within 3 years of taken office, another with potential to be $$.

James A Garfield - Assassinated in office, autos dated during his presidency could fetch $2-4K

Chester A Arthur - Succeeded after Garfield's assasination, wrote very few letters so autos are scarce so that means $$$.

JFK - Oddly enough used an autopen or secretarial signed, so authentic JFK could possibly be worth some $$.

Another President that may or may not be in the box would be Jefferson Davis, his auto is worth some money, again for historical importance.

The rest of the presidents range anywhere from Carter/Clinton/Ford $50 to $600-$700 for a Grant/Jackson. So your chances are you would not get your money back but there is that slight chance you could and then some. I personally would not buy them but save the money and get a nice framed signed manuscript for that price.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is crazy. I'd rather buy 3-4 boxes of Gold Standard or 2-3 boxes of certified.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast