Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Jodyy85's Items on eBay

Sports Card Collecting....A Love, Hate Relationship!!! Contest Entry

Sports Card Collecting…A Love, Hate Relationship!!!

I have been collecting sports cards for over twenty years now and I still enjoy it just as much as I did when I was five years old. I still go to the hobby shop on the weekend and shoot the breeze with the owner and I still watch EBay for hours at a time in hopes of getting that last second bid in on that certain card that I have been watching for a week. Heck even when I go to Wal-Mart to go grocery shopping you can be sure to be believe that my first stop is going to be the card aisle. Even though I was there two days ago and know for sure that there isn’t going to be anything new there from the last time. Now don’t get me wrong I still REALLY love the hobby but there are a few things that have started happening in the hobby the past few years that really tick me off. Now some of these thing bother me more than others but they all bother me. First thing is I really hate when a person list a card as a 1/1 when it’s the first one made, the last one made, or his jersey number. I mean if you really think of a 1/1 this way, all numbered cards are 1/1. I mean a card numbered 14/10000 is a 1/1 because there isn’t another one numbered 14/10000. I mean is a card a 1/1 because it is numbered 3/1000 because the player on the card has 3 kids or because he is the uniform of his 3rd team.

(Listed as a 1/1 because his jersey number is 21)

Second thing that really “Grinds My Gears” are people trying to sell cards who know absolutely nothing about them but thank they do. I mean you see people listing a 1992 Topps Cal Ripken Base Card on EBay for $300.00. They see the name Cal Ripken and think just because he was a superstar baseball player that any card with him on it is worth big money. My absolute favorite is the 2009 Topps Derek Jeter 1/1 Luis Diaz Sketch Card. I am pretty sure all of you guys have seen this card as it is listed on EBay for $2,000,000 and it is the highest price card listed on EBay right now. It has been listed on EBay for over 2 years now. Now I will cut the seller of this card a little break just because he is willing to give 20% of the sell price to Charity. But let me remind you that it’s only a little break I am cutting. This guy has got to know that this card is never going to sell for this price. I mean this guy doesn’t even have the MAKE OFFER option on his auction. So many serious card collectors have let him know that this card will never sell, yet he has never lowered his price.

(The Notrious $2,000,000 Card...that will never sell.)

Now for my final and biggest pet pee of all in collecting cards today is people making “Fake Cards”. Whether it be people changing a cards jersey swatch/patch, adding an auto to card that isn’t suppose to have one, or making there own cards or card company for that matter. I mean what are these people thinking doing this BS. I mean a lot of us who collected are in it for the hobby but we also enjoy taking the risk that the certain card we have or get might be worth something someday. People like this are the scum of the earth if you ask me. If they need money that bad why don’t they try the crazy idea called a JOB. Some of these counterfeiters out there are really good and know what there doing. But some it seems like don’t even care if some people know they are counterfeits. I mean you see a certain serial numbered jersey card for sell on the internet (a 1 color swatch) and it sells for $3.00. Then 2 weeks later your searching EBay and see the same numbered card with an amazing 4 color patch on it for 10x to 20x what it sold for the first time. I mean this is still suppose to be a hobby for kids. I mean it is bad enough to sell a fake to an adult but I don’t see how they could live with there selves at the smallest thought that this fake card could fall in to the hands of kid. Especially these nicer cards that are fake, I mean it could take a kids whole month or years allowance to pay for it. It is really sad what a few scumbags are doing to the hobby that so many of us love. I know it is wishful thinking but I wish they would all be caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Until then we will all just have to be careful in what we buy and hopefully one day they will be able to create at un-counterfeit able card. No matter all the things that bother me in the hobby the good still out way the bad and I am going to keep on collecting.

Mrjobe85

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Thanks for the entry, published here: https://www.sportscardforum.com/artic...-relationship/