Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: immigration

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I don't see how you "look illegal" anyway. According to Census data Arizona is nearly 60% Latino. Are they going to pull over every "illegal looking" Latino in the state? Are there not police officers that "look illegal" too? That whole concept is stupid.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ...'s Items on eBay

I don't see how you "look illegal" anyway. According to Census data Arizona is nearly 60% Latino. Are they going to pull over every "illegal looking" Latino in the state? Are there not police officers that "look illegal" too? That whole concept is stupid.

Welcome to the question that most of us in Arizona. Like I said, no one here questioned if something needed to be done. No matter what the polls said, most people didn't agree with some of the unnecessary provisions that were tacked on. That and the negative press resulted in the recall and removal of one of it's chief proponents. Just because the loudest voices talked it up didn't mean everyone loved it.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

Tyler, you make very valid points and I agree with them all. Police should not be identifying people who "look illegal" as that is blatant profiling (although looking for anyone that looks like they fit any particular description is technically profiling).

I agree that requiring officers to pursue proof of residency or lack thereof when no evidence thatthey are illegal is immediately present is excessive. However, if a non-English speaking person is stopped and can not provide valid US I.D. then that is pretty significant proof by itself and should be pursued.

Ultimately I place the blame for all of this on the Fed government. It is our government's responsibility to secure our borders. They are blatantly failing to do that and in some regards appear to be intentionally avoiding doing it. While other countries secure their borders with machine gun placements, armed patrols and security camera we have huge gaping holes that thousands of people casually walk through without even being noticed. Being angry or upset with Arizona lawmakers for trying to deal with the problem is misguided anger. If the Fed did it's job then laws like SB 1070 wouldn't even be needed.

respectfully I would disagree

I have meet and knew a couple people born in the US-which grants them citizenship- and can barely speak English and yes have a drivers license

-again another large debate on how and who will pay...I still believe using troops and having bases closer to the southern border would help

The Fed is doing that job. ICE does not have the man power with everything they have to handle and maintain.

SB 1070 is nothing but racial profiling-unless there are some east Germans running the border into AZ that hasnt made the news cycle. I am sure you guys would share that kind of news!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See duwal's Items on eBay

Obama has actually cracked down pretty hard on illegal immigration, he just hasn't had good PR on the job he's done. The US deported a record amount of illegal immigrants last year, something like 400,000. And in the past 6 years, the amount of illegal immigrants attempting to enter the US is down around 60% (that number is based off the amount of people apprehended by the Border Patrol, but it's what a lot of people use to gauge the amount of people trying to enter the US). We actually have just as many illegal Mexican immigrants leaving the country as we do entering it.

Credit should be due in part to Mr. Obama on this, but also attributed to both the recession and the increase and ease of availability of birth control methods in Mexico, which has lowered its birth rates to near-U.S. levels.

actually I think I read earlier this week that the amount of illegals leaving the U.S. has surpassed the amount trying to get in now

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

respectfully I would disagree

I have meet and knew a couple people born in the US-which grants them citizenship- and can barely speak English and yes have a drivers license

And I bet they can easily produce proof of citizenship. Not being able to speak the language is not the one and only identifier of an illegal, but it is a pretty darn good one. If it quacks like a duck...

-again another large debate on how and who will pay...I still believe using troops and having bases closer to the southern border would help

It probably would, and most countries use military to patrol their borders, but we have a hard time getting enough troops as it is. With so many coming home now this would be a good option of what to do with them.

Another option would be to make the Border Patrol a branch of the military that falls under the scope of the Pentagon. People could sign up for it after they graduate high school just like they do for the Army, Marines, Air force and Navy and serve a 4 year term just like other military branches. If they want to make a career of it and serve 20+ years then they get a military retirement just like other branches. (you gave me this idea when I read this)

The Fed is doing that job. ICE does not have the man power with everything they have to handle and maintain.

If Immigration needs more manpower then the Fed needs to provide the funding for it. Obama spent billions "creating jobs" everywhere else, how about creating a few in INS?

SB 1070 is nothing but racial profiling-unless there are some east Germans running the border into AZ that hasnt made the news cycle. I am sure you guys would share that kind of news!

There is...they just look like Mexicans

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

"I have meet and knew a couple people born in the US-which grants them citizenship- and can barely speak English and yes have a drivers license"

True. Just look at this weekend's NFL Draft.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

And I bet they can easily produce proof of citizenship. Not being able to speak the language is not the one and only identifier of an illegal, but it is a pretty darn good one. If it quacks like a duck...

yes they can it is called a BIRTH CERTIFICATE... The same that you would use You carry yours around just in case?

It probably would, and most countries use military to patrol their borders, but we have a hard time getting enough troops as it is. With so many coming home now this would be a good option of what to do with them.

Another option would be to make the Border Patrol a branch of the military that falls under the scope of the Pentagon. People could sign up for it after they graduate high school just like they do for the Army, Marines, Air force and Navy and serve a 4 year term just like other military branches. If they want to make a career of it and serve 20+ years then they get a military retirement just like other branches. (you gave me this idea when I read this)

-Idea's do come...

If Immigration needs more manpower then the Fed needs to provide the funding for it. Obama spent billions "creating jobs" everywhere else, how about creating a few in INS?

-smaller government?

There is...they just look like Mexicans

-expect pale white skin and blonde hair

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

yes they can it is called a BIRTH CERTIFICATE... The same that you would use You carry yours around just in case?

Exactly my point. The issue that is being raised is that there is a large contigent of people who can not speak the language and CAN NOT produce any proof that they are a resident.

And yes, I carry 3 forms of ID with me at all times, all of which required me proving who I am/citizenship to acquire.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Exactly my point. The issue that is being raised is that there is a large contigent of people who can not speak the language and CAN NOT produce any proof that they are a resident.

And yes, I carry 3 forms of ID with me at all times, all of which required me proving who I am/citizenship to acquire.

and those would be?
    and please remember I live in a different state so the laws a bit different...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Driver's license, SS card and handgun concealed carry permit.

Driver's license requires a birth certificate, SS card and a bill from a utility company showing your name and the address that you claim as yours.

SS card is obvious. Gotta have a birth certificate or passport and some form of ID such as a driver's license, military ID or health insurance card.

Handgun license requires a driver's license or state issued photo ID and an FBI background check.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast