Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burned Out

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

Been there. I took about 8 months off at one point but have gotten back to it hitting it harder than before.

Take some time off, just get away from it, let some of the long waits roll in, then get back into it sending to guys who are near-guaranteed returns. It worked for me, at least.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Bears Chicago Blackhawks
    Twitter: @@djauwerda See djauwerda's Items on eBay Instagram:

I posted on this last year when I was feeling a little burned out. It happens. But, the nice thing about TTM'ing is that you can walk away from it for awhile and come back to it later. I've slowed down a lot lately, but just dropped 10 in the mail this week, so we'll see what happens. I agree with Welker, find a project like his Dolphins or my Cubs... but even that sometimes doesn't cure the blues.

I enjoy TTMing as much as IP's, but feel they are two different animals. I have done much less IP stuff because the gas and travel take their toll... TTM costs me a stamp or two and that's about it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    New York Yankees New York Rangers New York Giants
    Twitter: @@ChrisWGamble

I have my projects I am working on with the New York Giants and New York Yankees. The only problem is I don't feel the same fire as I used to. Between life, working on my Masters, and writing my first book, and writing for two websites, I just don't have the drive I used to. I used to be a huge IP grapher with the SWB Yankees but they have no home games this year, at least none really close to my NJ home. I did the Thunder once last year but couldn't get into it much. Being as old as I am and asking a kid for an autograph just doesn't have the same excitement it used to. I love my collection, don't get me wrong. I just don't have the drive to build onto it as I once did.
    My spare time has been spent sifting through the hundreds of thousands of cards, separating the good ones from the commons and organizing them by player. I still set aside some cards for future TTM but I have no idea when I will get back into the hobby like I once was. There were times I would send out 30 requests a day for weeks at a time.
    I know once my wife and I decide to have children my enthusiasm will grow once again as I look forward to that day. But, that is years away.
    I appreciate all of the input you guys have brought forth and am amazed at how many of you suffered through the same thing. Hopefully, one day I will get back into the hobby like I once was.
    I collect NY Yankees, NY Giants, NY Rangers, NY Knicks, and NJ Nets. I am willing to trade. PM me if you have any cards signed by players from these teams.

Working on collecting all living New York Giants (football) and New York Yankees. The question is which team drives me nuts first!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wrong post haha. I say take a break, and watch some youtube ttmers. They really got me back into it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My ttming has gone right to 0. I have about 20 requests ready to go out(just have to degloss some PCs) and they've just sat there for about 2 months.

A lot of it has to do with that fact that aside from something here or there I only have interest in ttming baseball HOFers. Since I started we have lost Roberts, Snider, Killebrew, Anderson, Feller, Carter, and D. Williams. MacPhail has stopped it seems. Doerr, Kiner, Musial, MacPhail, Herzog, Irvin, Harvey, Weaver, Berra, and Schoendienst are all 80/90+. That is pretty substantial piece of the ttm signers left.

Baseball HOF ttming has taken a huge hit during the time I've been involved and over the next few years is going to be nearly non-existent. When I first got into the hobby I used to think about Doby, Wilhelm, Spahn, Slaughter, Rizzuto, Kell, Stargell, and all of the other great signers I missed out on. Now I think how lucky I was to have all of the amazing signers I have had the opportunity to get.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've sent out maybe 3 letters since this year began. I make my own custom cards so the main issues for me are if I miss cut then I have to re-print and so on until I get it right. I have no motivation really to write the letters and fill the envelopes. I am hoping since I have spare time now I can find some motivation to stop being lazy and send out a bunch I've been hoping for.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army

My ttming has gone right to 0. I have about 20 requests ready to go out(just have to degloss some PCs) and they've just sat there for about 2 months.

A lot of it has to do with that fact that aside from something here or there I only have interest in ttming baseball HOFers. Since I started we have lost Roberts, Snider, Killebrew, Anderson, Feller, Carter, and D. Williams. MacPhail has stopped it seems. Doerr, Kiner, Musial, MacPhail, Herzog, Irvin, Harvey, Weaver, Berra, and Schoendienst are all 80/90+. That is pretty substantial piece of the ttm signers left.

Baseball HOF ttming has taken a huge hit during the time I've been involved and over the next few years is going to be nearly non-existent. When I first got into the hobby I used to think about Doby, Wilhelm, Spahn, Slaughter, Rizzuto, Kell, Stargell, and all of the other great signers I missed out on. Now I think how lucky I was to have all of the amazing signers I have had the opportunity to get.

It does seem like a lot of the Baseball HOFers now getting enshrined are not good signers at all. Greg Maddux was a decent signer at one point but he is the only one off the top of my head who is in or will be enshrined that was. Maybe Jim Thome but after that I'm at a loss. The HOF is being taken up by guys who don't sign. Some of them not even in person. Sad.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia Phillies Philadelphia Eagles
    See rcgdodge's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I don't think I have a problem with players that don't sign ttm or if you meet them at an airport or hotel. Just makes their autograph that much more rare and valuable. But, I would hope they would do a show every once in a while or sign for Topps.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army

I am starting to get the itch again. It is slowly building up. I might send out a few in the upcoming weeks focusing on my Yankees and NY Giants collections. At least there is a little fire there where it was looking pretty burned out before. I might wait a little while to see if the fire builds or if it goes out. I am planning a trip to Pittsburgh with the wife so hopefully we can get good seats at a Pirates game and grab a few autos. That would go a long way to bringing me back.
    On a side note, I might be covering Jets or Giants camp this year for the website I work for. Can you imagine being right next to Eli Manning and NOT being able to ask for an autograph? My head might explode. I hope I get the press credentials though...just to say I did it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lizard-jd's Items on eBay

TTM'ing is not for the faint of heart as they say. You get out of TTM what you put into it. This hobby requires a lot of work, patience and money. I bet those that are members on here that post successes daily are sending out an average of 10-15 TTMs a week minimum. You also have to check who (celebrity) is likely to sign your items. If you take a shot for someone where you haven't seen a success it's a risk. The bigger the name, the higher the risk. But it's still a blast when you get a high end return!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast