Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

What is the best way to respond? (ebay message)

Hey everyone

I just sold an N64 controller on ebay. Well I sold the controller with the term "slight use" as the controller itself was fine. The buyer got the controller and left neutral feedback right away. She did not bother to contact me to see if I could fix the problem. Which is fine. She wrote there was wear on the chord which in her mind did not seem lie light use. Which is fair enough. Honestly I may have overlooked a piece of electrical tape on the chord, which the buyer says has damage to the chord under it.

I asked her to show me a picture (just so i can see why i got neutral feedback) but in the picture she sent all is see is a black chord with tape on it. For all i know it could the chord to her toaster. She then starts to tell me that she no longer wants it because of the damage. And would like a full refund plus the cost to ship it back to me.

I've been thinking about it, and while the controller itself seems to be fine, the wear in the wire could render it unusable. I'd much rather just ship it back to you for a refund, as had the stripping been mentioned in the listing, I wouldn't have bought it.

Legally (on ebay) the deal is done. she had made no request prior to leaving feedback, and now she wants a refund a day and a half after leaving feedback. I just don't know what the best way to word my reply of "no refund for you"... If she had come to me with the issue earlier I would have done something. But her waiting almost 2 days to ask for a refund after feedback seems fishy to me. So how should i word this?

SCF Rewards
    Country

What's your return policy? Can she do anything further with PayPal/eBay? I'm not much of a seller on there so I'm not too familiar with the possible recourse she could undertake. But if not, I'll give it a try:

Hello,

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to grant a refund for this item. As you have already left feedback for me on eBay, the transaction is complete. I'm sorry if you feel there is a risk regarding use of the item, but my return policy on eBay states _________. If you had asked for a refund while the transaction was still open, I would have gladly accommodated your request. If there is anything else I could help you with, please let me know. However, as I mentioned, I will not be able to provide a refund for the above reasons.

Thank you.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That seems like the professional way to word it themanishere.Once feedback is left,deal is considered done.By right,you really don't have to do any more responding with her StainLss,seeing the deal is done,but personally I would use the above letter.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

I am leaning to say she left feedback, and completed the transaction. It's too late to ask for a refund at this point.

I worked retail for many years, and ran into many, many people who were demanding like this, but none, not one ever came into a store, demanded a refund, AND asked for some compensation for the time and gas it took them to come in for the return. Never once.

If you decide to refund her, all she deserves is the original cost of the item. She pays to return it if she really wants to that bad.

I bet she backs off under those terms. She bought it, she needs to bear some responsibility for doing so.

Although in my experience, people like this will inflict further damage on the item if she does decide to send it to you at her cost. She's gonna make you pay, one way or the other.

I say she bought it used, she left feedback completing the transaction, she needs to learn to live with it. It's a buyer beware world.

She really expects you to pay for return shipping? Crazy! Some people are just too much......

SCF Rewards
    Country

First of all, if you selcted that the item can be returned you should have picked the cost of shipping is on them. Secondly....if she left feedback.....game over....there is nothing she can do legally.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

She filed a dispute...I escalated to a claim right away... ebay said i was not at fault but they gave her the money back (out of their pocket)... I guess it worked out but still bugs me. She knew what she was doing was not right.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See roaddogg02316's Items on eBay

Well if the pic she sent you was not of the controller cord you could probably tell. I'd say next time go down to the most particular details so they can't do this again.
    Not familiar with how ebay disputes work, only ever had to file one and I don't think I won it, then again I probably didn't go to the fullest extent that I could either.