Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Your Rant is Bang on. I am only a trader and thus stick to the trading thread only. However, some of the same EBay Bozos have shown up quoting SV to those of us who could care less. In my opinion if SV is so important to them they should stick to the Buy and Sell thread

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't see an issue with trading with SV though. As long as it is done smartly. BV is outdated. I mean I would love to pick up base of my guys, but people use base BV which is ridiculous. We all know base is worth a penny a piece maybe. But I can't get 10 base cards without people wanting GU and autos. I mean who would trade a 100 BV card that sells for $100 when another 100 BV card sells for $25? It isn't a fair trade at all. So using a bit of both BV/SV and common sense is the best way.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I fail to see how the market would be better if everyone overpaid. This makes no sense. If a card is going for $10 regularly on ebay, I would be a fool to pay $40 somewhere else. That's just the way things work. I also fail to see how you can say someone doesn't have a 2nd grade education because they are not willing to pay triple, or quadruple the going rate for something. Yeah, I just paid $100,000 for my Dodge Caravan because the seller told me it was real special and *should* be worth that much.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See emersondrive13rocks's Items on eBay

Honestly this is why I am losing interest in this site and it is unfortunate. However when I look at ebay or card sales in general it makes me sad to see a Patrick Roy auto sell for under $50. Really? People pay more than that for a RNH Young Gun card! Yeah you pull a sick low #'d or SP hit now and it maybe pays for that $20 pack but not the other packs in which you got common jersey cards. I blame overproduction by the card companies creating so much supply that it really hurts demand.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

Honestly this is why I am losing interest in this site and it is unfortunate. However when I look at ebay or card sales in general it makes me sad to see a Patrick Roy auto sell for under $50. Really? People pay more than that for a RNH Young Gun card! Yeah you pull a sick low #'d or SP hit now and it maybe pays for that $20 pack but not the other packs in which you got common jersey cards. I blame overproduction by the card companies creating so much supply that it really hurts demand.

You hit the nail on the head, 90's all over again. We are just at the beginning.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The notion of BV vs. SV vs. TV vs. BYOBV has come up here, so I'll just re-post this article I wrote a while back - sums it up nicely, I think:

The Evolution of Assessing a Card's Value
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See auktions_welpe's Items on eBay

1 example

you buy a box of 09-10 SP Authentic for 110$ (dacard)

you pull THE rc of this year John Tavares FW AU RC /999
    you think you did great... ahem no... this card does not cover the cost of your box

sells for around 60-90$

that is the card I hope for when I buy this product... I could have saved 50$ if I just buy it on ebay.

another example

hey man ... you PULL THE LIMITED RC PATCH AU of John Tavares and you think you hit the jackpot... thats the HIT of the product... woooohoooo

wait a second...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-UD-SP-AUTHENTIC-LIMITED-ROOKIE-AUTO-PATCH-JOHN-TAVARES-2CLR-019-100-/200774981789?pt=FR_CA_Sports_Trading_Cards&hash=it em2ebf1f189d

sold for 91$

it had a bad corner on the back, so it surely lowered the outcome, but my guess is: if the seller would have not mentioned it the card would still have had a hard time to even get to the price of the box.

something really is broken

if you pull one of THE hits of a product and are not able to get at least what you paid for the box... I can't see me breaking anything anytime soon... and man did I love to break wax
    Last edited by Marko; 06-30-2012 at 03:24 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I understand your rant and don't blame you.

But...

I'm just going to say, don't use ebay if you are not going to be happy with getting offers or having cards sold for the going rate on that site.

You have a nice card. So what? Would you as a buyer think that since it is a nice card they should give you something worth more or pay you more because thats what you are looking for. Or would a educated person go towards purchasing it for as cheap as possible. I think the later.

Just because you think it is a nice card or it is low numbered doesn't justify what the market is saying it is going for. And since you decided to use ebay, then prices should reflect that.

While, I respect people who use the book.

Beckett is a guide, not the actual market.

Mind boggling how people can go to a book and say what something is worth.

They aren't experts. It's just a few guys writing numbers in a card magazine.

People are treating it as a be all and end all.

The book said so, therefore I must follow. (I can tell you people in history ran into a lot of programs from this theory).

Ebay might not be correct, but you see physical transactions taking place with your own eyes.

I agree with the fact that this is a hobby and should enjoy it that way.

Don't let people bug you on these insignificant matters with pricing.

Just ignore their offers if you are truly enjoying the hobby.

There will always be people like this around.
    Last edited by Yipper; 07-01-2012 at 03:26 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I fail to see how the market would be better if everyone overpaid. This makes no sense. If a card is going for $10 regularly on ebay, I would be a fool to pay $40 somewhere else. That's just the way things work. I also fail to see how you can say someone doesn't have a 2nd grade education because they are not willing to pay triple, or quadruple the going rate for something. Yeah, I just paid $100,000 for my Dodge Caravan because the seller told me it was real special and *should* be worth that much.

If you paid more for an given card, and were likewise paid more for what you were selling, then there would be more money moving through the hobby. A $100 box wouldn't be such an impossible gamble. The more money moves is better for an economy or industry. For example:

-You have $200 to spend on cards. Right now, you can probably go and pick up a couple boxes for that price. With today's current sales, you may only get $20-$25 back from each box. Okay, so now you have $50 after selling your hits....what can you do with that $50? Nothing. Can't buy any nice singles or PC cards, certainly not another box. You're broke, until you can repeat the cycle again.

or................................................ .....

-You have $200 o spend on cards. Let's say two boxes to keep things equal. However, this time people pay you for your hits and you make back $120-$130. Wow! That might actually be worth the risk. With a 60%-70$ return on your original investment, you can maybe take a gamble on another box, buy a PC card, or just be happy that a $200 gamble only cost you $80. (Wishful thinking I know.lol)

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you paid more for an given card, and were likewise paid more for what you were selling, then there would be more money moving through the hobby. A $100 box wouldn't be such an impossible gamble. The more money moves is better for an economy or industry. For example:

-You have $200 to spend on cards. Right now, you can probably go and pick up a couple boxes for that price. With today's current sales, you may only get $20-$25 back from each box. Okay, so now you have $50 after selling your hits....what can you do with that $50? Nothing. Can't buy any nice singles or PC cards, certainly not another box. You're broke, until you can repeat the cycle again.

or................................................ .....

-You have $200 o spend on cards. Let's say two boxes to keep things equal. However, this time people pay you for your hits and you make back $120-$130. Wow! That might actually be worth the risk. With a 60%-70$ return on your original investment, you can maybe take a gamble on another box, buy a PC card, or just be happy that a $200 gamble only cost you $80. (Wishful thinking I know.lol)

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast