Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about prayer

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I never understand why people would pray or ask for prayers after something bad has already happened. Seems kind of like (I know bad scenario) wishing that your lottery scratcher is a winner after you've already scratched all of the spots

That's usually praying for the strength and guidance to get through the aftermath. Whether there is a God or not, prayer has powers, if only in the mind of the person praying.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think the more interesting proposition is the fact that the majority of prayers are requests of divine intervention...i.e (Please god, help me with X problem).

We have all done this at one point in our lives, but it's problematic for several reasons.

#1 If god gives humans free will than he is not allowed to intervene....EVER! The reason for this is that by intervening in any type of problem he is deliberately going against the free will he has granted us.

#2 If god does in fact intervene.....how does this process occur?

What I mean by this is, does he only intervene for the people who serve him? If so, why do good things happen to bad people and vice versa?

Would god not intervene to help an innocent starving African child.....millions die every year because of this.....but I'm supposed to believe god helped X team win a game or some person in America get a job, or some other menial task?

Why would god's priorities be this way?

Isn't it more logical to conclude that the reason why good things happen to bad people and vice versa is a mixture of Chance, circumstances, and pure coincidences?

You see....even when I was a christian I would have these thoughts.....they genuinely kept me up at night, I couldn't understand why god would not intervene to help those who are suffering.

My first conclusion was that god can't help everyone....but that didn't make sense, HE'S GOD!

My second conclusion was that he can't intervene on anyone's lives because it's against free will.....but then why even pray?

My third conclusion was the scariest one.....what if there is no god?

I quickly brushed that under the rug of my brain....that's not possible.....if there is no god, than there is no meaning to this life!

But then what is the meaning of a child born in Africa only to suffer and die (this scenario is if god exists)......what was the meaning of his life?

All of you know where I'm going with this, and I only say these things so you can think about it, nothing more, nothing less.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

alex,

God is God and can do as God pleases. Gods intervention could be a thought that guides us to a better decision, God could grant calmness to the mind in times of trouble. God does not have to reach down and nudge us. you would lie things to be black and white, but nothing is that easy, there is always shades of grey in between.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

alex,

God is God and can do as God pleases. Gods intervention could be a thought that guides us to a better decision, God could grant calmness to the mind in times of trouble. God does not have to reach down and nudge us. you would lie things to be black and white, but nothing is that easy, there is always shades of grey in between.

this ^^^
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

alex,

Are you really serious? That is complete and utter tripe.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

If there is a God, I believe praying for divine intervention is useless. He gives guidance and strength, he doesn't do things for you.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

If there is a God, I believe praying for divine intervention is useless. He gives guidance and strength, he doesn't do things for you.

I agree with guidance and strenght but every once in a while I believe that he does perform miracles.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I agree with guidance and strenght but every once in a while I believe that he does perform miracles.

I think he guides situations so things we see as "miraculous" happen. The old hand of God touching a heart or changing the outcome doesn't happen. His guidance was there, but he touched nothing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Philadelphia Eagles
    My traders on Flickr

Not sure I 100% completely agree with you. I guess it's all in how you look at things. I have prayed to give thanks, ask for guidance, and ask for help. Many times I have been blessed with gifts in times of need......

One quick example......when my wife and I moved to WA a year ago, it was tough. She could not find a job (small town, in the middle of nowhere...not many opportunities). Because of this, money was tight. Well, one day I get a forwarded letter in the mail. It was from a financial institution (Prudential, I think) regarding a 401k account I completely forgot about.........on a job I had well over 10 years ago. My previous employer had switched to a different 401K provider, so they were cashing out old accounts. So, needless to say, after a quick phone call to them, I had a check in the mail that was enough to cover what we needed to handle for the next couple of months. What surprises me is how I was tracked down. At the time I was in CA, had moved twice there......moved and lived in GA for 8 years, and now live in WA. Now I know some will say it's all a coincidence, or present some type of explanation, but I believe it was a gift because to be tracked down and receive something from a company wanting to give me money........a company I have completely forgotten about and had zero contact with in 10+ years........

God has always given me what I needed (not necessarily what I wanted), when I needed it. Like I said, everyone will have their own view on things. Some believe and some do not. That is your own choice......part of your free will. You chose to believe or you chose not to believe. For me, I chose to believe. I chose to pray. I chose to give thanks, ask for guidance, ask for help, etc.
    I only use PayPal G&S and I do not ship internationally

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
    (Philippians 4:6)

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

So if a surgeon operates and is not quite as good as the next surgeon, is the first surgeon's hand therefore the default work of the devil?

I have met and even worked for, far too many Re-born loons that do not look at experience or qualification. god directed that surgeons hand, and the surgeon is simply a highly trained atheist, but the best of his craft.

The other poor bastrad's surgery goes wrong and it's the devil's work, or the man did no have enough faith.

Forget choices, how about brainwashing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast