Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dendron8's Items on eBay

how does autograph buyback work?

So I've been seeing a few cards on eBay that state that its a "buyback" or an "autograph buyback". For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230918043652...84.m1423.l2649

and I am wondering who might know how this works? To me, this just looks like someone got this autographed in blue sharpie.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See auktions_welpe's Items on eBay

sometimes UD puts in autographed buybacks into products, as far as I know with an extra COA-card.
    I would not touch a buyback autograph without this extra COA-card.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (50) HI
    Country

They have a hologram sticker on the back of the card that matches the one on the separate COA that is also included.

Some buybacks dont have extra COA and just are stamped by the company to distinguish them. (like the 02/03 BAP Signature Series Buybacks)

https://www.sportscardforum.com/scf/i...0/sort/imgdesc

All are supposedly 'repurchased' by the company in order to get them signed by the athletes, but it does make more sense to me that they just use a few extras that never made it into the original products, but who knows?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dendron8's Items on eBay

that makes sense.. so ya, the ron francis card I linked to above either doesnt have such a thing or it is not visible to bidders.. I asked the seller this question but so far no response... guess I will stay away unless I see some evidence similar to what you provided.. thanks for the education !

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (50) HI
    Country

I believe that Francis is legit. It is from the 03/04 Upper Deck Buyback Auto set, which had tons of different cards from different years bought back and signed.

https://www.sportscardforum.com/scf/inv/viewset/79867 -- link to set

The hand numbering of these is also pretty cool, but this was not done by the player himself. (You can tell because on all of cards the handwriting of the hand numbering is the same).

This card is one that should come with the separate COA card with matching hologram sticker on the back of the Francis card.
    The seller looks very trustworthy but also busy with over 1000 listings so it is up to you but I would bid if you like the card and think its a fair price.

SCF Rewards
    Country

All are supposedly 'repurchased' by the company in order to get them signed by the athletes, but it does make more sense to me that they just use a few extras that never made it into the original products, but who knows?

The only time I've seen a company (one of the large ones) actually buy back stuff was Topps over in baseball when they had giveaways for vintage cards all the way back to the 1950s. Topps would go to card shops and pay money for the cards they needed no matter the condition. So the shops sent Topps really damaged stuff and collectors got that as their "prizes". As for buybacks of newer stuff I know that Fleer and Upper Deck in baseball would just use cards that were redemptions that people didn't redeem. So if a card from 2002 had 100 copies but only 50 people redeemed it before the expiration date then they would have a "buyback" of 50 copies of the card. Kind of racket but it makes more sense financially than having them buy stuff off of eBay to insert into packs.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

The only time I've seen a company (one of the large ones) actually buy back stuff was Topps over in baseball when they had giveaways for vintage cards all the way back to the 1950s. Topps would go to card shops and pay money for the cards they needed no matter the condition. So the shops sent Topps really damaged stuff and collectors got that as their "prizes". As for buybacks of newer stuff I know that Fleer and Upper Deck in baseball would just use cards that were redemptions that people didn't redeem. So if a card from 2002 had 100 copies but only 50 people redeemed it before the expiration date then they would have a "buyback" of 50 copies of the card. Kind of racket but it makes more sense financially than having them buy stuff off of eBay to insert into packs.

Yah, but the autographED buybacks (as opposed to the autograph buybacks), they had to get those signed after the fact, at least they put some effort into those hahahahaaa

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (50) HI
    Country

Also look at the new product 12/13 ITG History of Hockey. Have some cool buyback rc's and autos

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Up until about 2003-04 my LCS used to get an email every year with a list of what Upper Deck was looking for in the way of buybacks. It was a great way to get rid of anywhere from $500-1500 worth of base cards. Those days are long gone, 99% of what you see called buybacks now are just unreleased backstock.

Darren

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Up until about 2003-04 my LCS used to get an email every year with a list of what Upper Deck was looking for in the way of buybacks. It was a great way to get rid of anywhere from $500-1500 worth of base cards. Those days are long gone, 99% of what you see called buybacks now are just unreleased backstock.

Darren

I loved these older base cards reinserted with an autograph and a COA. They were nice case hits in mid-end products.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast