Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (116)
    Country
    See centralfalc1616's Items on eBay

The Holocaust just got more shocking - NY Times

By ERIC LICHTBLAU

Published: March 1, 2013

THIRTEEN years ago, researchers at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum began the grim task of documenting all the ghettos, slave labor sites, concentration camps and killing factories that the Nazis set up throughout Europe.

What they have found so far has shocked even scho​lars steeped in the history of the Holocaust.

The researchers have cataloged some 42,500 Nazi ghettos and camps throughout Europe, spanning German-controlled areas from France to Russia and Germany itself, during Hitler’s reign of brutality from 1933 to 1945.

The figure is so staggering that even fellow Holocaust scholars had to make sure they had heard it correctly when the lead researchers previewed their findings at an academic forum in late January at the German Historical Institute in Washington.

“The numbers are so much higher than what we originally thought,” Hartmut Berghoff, director of the institute, said in an interview after learning of the new data.

“We knew before how horrible life in the camps and ghettos was,” he said, “but the numbers are unbelievable.”

Read rest of article here;
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/su...aw0svfJWxthXZQ

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

wow! interesting and sad article.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (116)
    Country
    See centralfalc1616's Items on eBay

wow! interesting and sad article.

I know! A good and emotional read.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

My dad was born in Berlin in 1928. In 1935, because my grandparents owned a general store which was worth something, they were "allowed" to "emigrate" to Belgium with twelve hours notice, with whatever they could carry. They made their way to Scotland where they had relatives, but after about six months their relatives turned them in (Scotland wasn't very jew-friendly at the time either) Luckily the British Govt gave them passes to Palestine, where they spent the war years. Not one of my dad's uncles or aunts or cousins survived the war.

That all said, I don't believe that a 12-person work detail at someone's house constitutes a "forced labor camp" and I don't think the 42,500 number is REALLLLYYYY accurate. THAT said, one forced labor camp was one too many.

Elwood: Illinois Nazis.
    Jake: I hate Illinois Nazis.