Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See doctom2005's Items on eBay

many things in life serve no purpose when the purpose in rooted in our own desires and wants.

as a teenager I literally got into fist fights with my brother over this. the fact you need a God to come down to tell you He exists, takes away from the whole idea of our Christian God. Perhaps a god from another religion will do this, but not the God I know.

I have some questions about the bolded part. What serves no purpose in life? What is wrong with wanting and desiring some things in life? I know it can get out of hand, but those wants and desires make people do great things.
    Last edited by drtom2005; 03-04-2013 at 09:13 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

What if someone believes in reincarnation but not a God per se? Would they still be considered an atheist?

Yes, someone could believe in reincarnation and be an atheist.

Someone can believe in ghosts and be an atheist.

Some atheists are even "spiritual".

But there is only one thing that groups us together....our lack of belief in a deity or deities.

You're either agnostic or atheist. You can't be sure something doesn't exist and still say there's a possibility it exists.

I'm definitely not going into this yet again.

You either accept that these terms are not mutually exclusive or you don't.

Christian belief does not abandon logic?!?

Sorry, but it does.

Christians believe that a man walked on water, turned water into wine, resurrected from the dead after 3 days, and ascended into heaven.

That not only breaks every rule of logic, it breaks the rules of physics and nature too.

Darn....looks like I missed most of the fun.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

alex, you are correct, it breaks the rules of mans understanding of logic, physics, and nature.

drtom, I think we are talking two different things here. ego is good when it provides self worth, but as you said, when carried away it can be bad. I am talking about God and someones purpose for Him.

SCF Rewards
    Country

alex, you are correct, it breaks the rules of mans understanding of logic, physics, and nature.

Shrew, you just stepped on a land mine.

IF you're making a case for a type of logic that is different than the one we currently understand, how do you know what's what?

Sure, a fat man flying around the world giving gifts to children in one night is absurd by OUR logic, physics and laws of nature....but that's because we don't have an understanding of "Santa Clause logic".

See what I mean?

SCF Rewards
    Country

alex, I think it didn't go off, must be a dud.

when we can create a universe and life out of nothing, then we will know whether there is a God or not.

when we understand why particles have mass(not hypothesize), let me know, that will be a step in the right direction. when we understand why there is only carbon based life and our planet just happens to be the only place for it, let me know.

logic is fallible and physics and nature are just being understood, we have a long, long, long way to go.

I think I hear something jingling and a jangling, got to be santa

SCF Rewards
    Country

when we can create a universe and life out of nothing, then we will know whether there is a God or not.

"out of nothing"?

Isn't that how Yahweh created the Universe?

Out of nothing?

He spoke and it came to be.

As for what I subscribe to, that would be the Big bang theory. Which is a scientific explanation to how the Universe came to be, but here's the question you want to know.....what started the big bang?

I have no idea....but we're still searching for answers.

Is god the answer to that question....Maybe.

But you gotta understand that IF we come up with god as the answer, that doesn't mean that we would be done asking questions.

This would bring up an truck load of questions, the primary one being....How was this god created?

SCF Rewards
    Country

and if we could create the universe and life from nothing, perhaps we would know the answer, but obviously man currently does not have the knowledge or logic do to so.

even your last posts shows logic and knowledge will always be growing, meaning we do not know everything yet.

thus my statement

it breaks the rules of mans understanding of logic, physics, and nature

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567