Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vaughanbetts's Items on eBay

Opinion on getting rid of my Young Guns, Black Diamond, and 70's & 80's OPC rookies

Hey All,

I've begun the slow process of paring down my rookie collection into something that I could potentially display someday in a future man-cave, once I get one. I've got plenty of nice rookies now - honestly too many to show all at one time.

A couple weeks back I purged (aka: sold on eBay) all of my RC's with serial numbers above /100, unless of course they were auto or game used. Besides my Datsyuk SPA /900 and /150, they were mostly pretty easy to get rid of. It made some decent cash too! The three un-numbered sets who escaped my wrath were Young Guns, old school O-Pee-Chee and Black Diamond, since they are often considered to be pretty important to own.

However, I am strongly considering doing a similar purge of my Young Guns, Black Diamonds and O-Pee-Chee's (except the TOP rookies from the 70's and 80's) sometime next week.

The question to you is: what do you think of this plan? Should I get rid of them all, to make room for my "better" rookies in a future display? If I do get rid of them, should I list them for .99 of eBay like I usually do, or maybe sell them here? I do love the simplicity of selling them that way, and then also never wondering if they would have sold for more on the Bay. But then again, maybe I could get more for them here. Thoughts?

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It can be tough with these full sets - if you want to move them all at once a full set listing is the quickest and easiest way to do it. If you try to sell individually you may end up stuck with the lesser lights of the set - yeah you'll get rid of the big names soon enough but the triple diamond RC's can be a nuisance to try to move.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

It can be tough with these full sets - if you want to move them all at once a full set listing is the quickest and easiest way to do it. If you try to sell individually you may end up stuck with the lesser lights of the set - yeah you'll get rid of the big names soon enough but the triple diamond RC's can be a nuisance to try to move.

Sorry - I need to clarify. I don't have any full sets OR any "lesser lights" (I like that term). I simply mean that in all my various RC collections of the star payers of the last decade or so, I have black diamond and young guns rookies for many of them. I mean guys like Carter, Richards, Kessel, Couture, Backstrom, Kane, Staal etc. I am just thinking of dropping them all because they don't fit into my new classification of being #ed /100 or less OR having auto or jersey involved. Is that more clear?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See railblaze's Items on eBay

To keep them or not, has a lot of how and why to it. If the why is to be able to, at a later date, show off a wallboard of HHoF players, then you would have to take a good hard look at some of the newer RCs to decide if they're worth keeping or if you should move them at the height of their popularity (which may not be right this moment, but you get my meaning.)

The 70s and 80s you would almost certainly want to hold on to if they're all quality players. Especially if they're in good condition, as those will be harder and harder to come by over time.

As for selling,
    If they're all "star" players, I would definitely split them individually.

It would be more work, but I think you'll get more hits than you would trying to package them together, unless you did it under specific circumstances - Carter & Richards, Kane & Towes, etc.. If you package too many together, you're going to drastically limit your buyer pool.

SCF Rewards
    Country

To keep them or not, has a lot of how and why to it. If the why is to be able to, at a later date, show off a wallboard of HHoF players, then you would have to take a good hard look at some of the newer RCs to decide if they're worth keeping or if you should move them at the height of their popularity (which may not be right this moment, but you get my meaning.)

The 70s and 80s you would almost certainly want to hold on to if they're all quality players. Especially if they're in good condition, as those will be harder and harder to come by over time.

As for selling,
    If they're all "star" players, I would definitely split them individually.

It would be more work, but I think you'll get more hits than you would trying to package them together, unless you did it under specific circumstances - Carter & Richards, Kane & Towes, etc.. If you package too many together, you're going to drastically limit your buyer pool.

Thanks for the input.

What do you think of my potential choice to get rid of the Black Diamond and Young Guns rookies. Do you think that is a good call?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See railblaze's Items on eBay

If you're more interested in having the display be of jsy/mem/serial rookies, then it's definitely the right call. Especially the Black Diamond, as those have a habit of getting damaged more than a lot of other sets.

Young Guns tend to do better over time both in value and quality, you may want to consider moving those only at the height of popularity - which requires some amount of guessing.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Sorry - I need to clarify. I don't have any full sets OR any "lesser lights" (I like that term). I simply mean that in all my various RC collections of the star payers of the last decade or so, I have black diamond and young guns rookies for many of them. I mean guys like Carter, Richards, Kessel, Couture, Backstrom, Kane, Staal etc. I am just thinking of dropping them all because they don't fit into my new classification of being #ed /100 or less OR having auto or jersey involved. Is that more clear?

Ah yes clarity is always good. The good thing about having such quality RC's is that you'll definitely be able to find a home for them whether via sales or trading for your re-focused PC efforts. Good luck with it!

BANNED

Country

If you do decide to sell off your 70's and 80's OPC rookies, I would do it here. I for one don't use paypal, and find it virtually impossible to grab any on here. I feel they would go quickly, and hey, if you ever sell the top ones, I'll buy them!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the help you guys! I've decided I'm going to list all my Young Guns and Black Diamond RC's on the Bay. I'll list them right now. It'll take a couple hours to finish, so wish me luck, haha. The hardest ones for me to part with will be my Nash and my Datsyuks!

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you're going to sell OPC rookies from the 70's and 80's if you have any of the top names (Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Roy, Etc) you should probably invest the money to grade them before selling. At least if you have any shot at a decent grade. The return on investment in grading fees on vintage stuff is pretty good as long as the cards are solid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast