Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I write UD??

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See steviey2493's Items on eBay

I have no UD bias or anything, and no complaints about them. I know it is a risk/reward deal, but I would still expect a tad better out of their 2nd best product at the moment. Some consistancy is what I am saying, same with the cup. I feel awful for people who spend $400 and get $65 in return.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

Umm, overall you did pretty good, you hit 2 patches in two packs. Why do you feel awful for people who spend money and "get nothing in return"? If your in this hobby to rip packs and make money, you need to stop ripping NOW! Please do not write Upper Deck, you do not have a legitimate complaint.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See auktions_welpe's Items on eBay

hey,

one of my last ~90$ Packs of Ultimate had

Ron Hextall Base (a 1.99$ card recently)
    Joe Finley non AU RC (a 0.60$ card recently - was part of a 4 card rc lot that went for 2.50$)
    Rick MacLeish AU (a 1.60$ card recently)
    Brett Connolly Debut Threads AU (a 2.25$ card recently)

that is a whopping 6.44$ out of 90$

I am able to get 7% of my money back for that box, but I wouldn't even think about writing to UD about that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See montagna2006's Items on eBay

It sucks when you break open a box/boxes/case and you end up with multiples and/or no big hits. Just like Marko, I've broken open boxes and gotten nickles on the dollar for the cards in them. How about paying $340 for two boxes of 10-11 SPGU and pulling all low-end players of the sp cards and all high-run cards of the rookies and big name players? I figured it was about $60 worth of cards, although I'm not positive b/c I couldn't even sell most of them.

It feels unfair. Collecting is still more of a hobby than a way to invest, though. Nowhere will you see UD (or Panini or ITG) make a statement that you will make a profit from their cards. It's a lot more common to spend more than you make. It's a lot like gambling when you break open boxes, and there are very few people who come back from Vegas with more than they started with. It's the thrill of the break and the possibility of getting a big pull that are part of human nature. This hobby used to be more about building up a set or collection and showing it with pride to fellow collectors; people who understand and appreciate what collecting is all about. They can understand the drive it takes to put together a set and the sacrifice in money and time one needs to invest. The reward you can count on is the excitement of breaking, the satisfaction of collecting and the comradery among other collectors. You run a better chance of feeling the joy of capital return through more traditional investments.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I am totally fine getting a sub par break, but having a mid/high end product where autos of a star player like Duchene going for less than $3 is ludacris to me, especially in consecutive boxes next to each other. Getting less than a fourth of value back just doesn't settle well with me

Keep in mind that in order for UD to get Duchene's autograph, it probably cost them more than $3 a piece.

The fact is that the secondary market is so flooded with autographs that the cost to get a card signed and its market value after the fact are at completely opposite ends. There IS a way for you to make money off of box breaking no matter how much a box costs:

Get someone else to buy them for you.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Your problem isn't with upper deck and this kind of thing happens all the time. Your problem is with the collectors that continue to purchase the garbage hockey products out there. Stop buying and then products will have better results. It's kind of like the Leaf's who have been awful for years, but as long as the fans keep coming, the team doesn't really have any reason to better the team.

That being any card company might only compensate you if you were shorted a hit and you were not. It is ridiculous that you got two of the same card in your two packs, but all I can say is better luck next time.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Would you be calling UD if you hit back to back Gretzky autos?

I think this is it right here. The card is good, but the player not so much. THat isn't UD's fault. They hold zero power on the secondary market.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

First off, I agree with the comment that UD does not set the market. Second, I don't think the break was that bad in terms of quality of hits. You got duplicates on your auto, sure, but it is a young up and coming player. There are a lot worse autos in that product than Duchene. Moving on, you got a multi-color patch card of a true hockey legend. Sounds pretty good to me. Then add a three color patch of the ROY from that year. Most people would consider that to be a pretty good break as there wasn't really a dud player on any of your hits. If you want to get $200 out of a break of Ultimate, go on Ebay and buy up hits that equal $200. If you're going to bust Ultimate, those packs are above average.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (4)
    Country
    See mothepipes's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Look on the bright side you saved 60$, if you where this side of the border them 2 packs would have cost you 230$+.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (87)
    Country

You got 2 patch cards, and 2 autographs of a very decent player (granted, they don't sell for much, but that's OUR fault, not Upper Deck's), and you're complaining about your break?

UD Ultimate comes in a 15-pack case. There are on average 4-5 patches per case. You beat the odds. I would have been satisfied with the break, and I usually open boxes/cases to resell.

I think you should probably stick to buying singles, or open ITG.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast